ittechguy is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 8 Access 2013

What to say when told your database has too many tables?

I've been working on my database project for about two months now. Its coming along nicely. I've learned a lot, but still have a ways to go.

I've asked advice a couple times from a couple guys at work who are known for their knowledge of databases, programming, access, etc. Just today, I've been told by one of them that my database has an ungodly amount of tables which don't make any sense at all. There isn't much of a reason to separate data types the way that I have. It would be easier if I brought data together into as few tables as possible. He showed me an example of a simple database he completed recently which only had two tables. One of which only had one field and contained a technician's tittle, first name, and last name all in one field.

I honestly don't know what to say to something like that. I do appreciate his advice because while he's not always right, he's been able to point me in the right direction. And sometimes that helps me more than anything else. But seriously, I've tried going the route of having as little tables as possible. It didn't make any sense to me. I had way way too much duplicate data and building a filter seemed impossible. Not to mention finding unique records when every table contains tons and tons of duplicate data. Also this database is several times more complicated than his was.

Anyways, here's my current database relationship. Honestly it doesn't seem any harder for me to work with. If anything its easier w/ so many tables.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	relationship2.0.png 
Views:	17 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	22394

pbaldy is online now Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    What specific table(s) does he suggest getting rid of? What does the data they store look like? I would never store "technician's tittle, first name, and last name all in one field".
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

You say: "You do it then!" then smash the keyboard and walk out.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    IMO, that is not very many tables at all. I count 18. My largest db has about 120. I will admit it is an oddball db but it does what we need it to. My smallest db has only 2 tables.

Agree with Paul, title and name parts all in one field is absurd.

I am concerned that a couple of your tables have multiple relationship paths. For instance, why would tblCustomer need to link to both tblFacilityMgr and tblRoomsPOC?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.