John_sc is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

How can I insert Word paragraph style tag into a RTF export

I am exporting my report into word (rtf). Everything comes in as Normal paragraph style. I would like to mark say the header as Heading 1, section header as Heading 2, etc. Any way to do this?

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I am going to guess the only way is to automate Word and use VBA to change the properties of the headings. Whatever the answer may be, I will guess that a report will not play a role in the process. Mail Merge may be easier, but still very difficult.

JamesDeckert is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    How are you exporting your report into RTF format?

From the report I go to More (under export) and then Word.

JamesDeckert is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    Have you tried exporting as HTML. You asked in your original post for Heading 1, Heading 2, these are HTML tags, not rtf.

What I really am doing is trying to get it into Word, which had the Heading 1 and Heading 2 tags. That may just be their interface.

I have tried HTML, but that gives me multiple pages, which I did not want. There are a few other negatives. I was trying to get a simple mechanism to transfer the Access Report into Word for some post processing, and then transfer it to other systems. So far the rtf export has been the most straight forward approach, but there is a good deal of post processing needed. If I could attach style tags, that would eliminate a lot of the work.

Might as well provide a summary of what you want to accomplish that includes the final steps and finished product.

Reports are really good for specific things and I am guessing the solution for your objective is not going to include a report.

Here it is in a nut shell

* The database is being used to put together a daily news blast. Multiple individuals open it up on a shared drive and input their announcements.
    * Daily, a non-technical admin runs the report that creates a fairly nice looking report.
    * Ultimately, it is disseminated via a mailing list, posted on a website, and loaded on PowerPoint message board. So it needs to be formatted in multiple ways.
    * To get it into a form that the non-techies can work with, the report is exported to Word. They can then manipulate the info from Word.

Yes, I know there are apps out there that will do this. Also, I know Access is not a good platform for multiple concurrent use. I was asked to get something up and running quickly on the cheap, and it has been running successfully for 3 years, so I don't want to rock the boat. I was trying to automate the process a bit more than it is. I was thinking paragraph style tags might help. I might also add a few macros in Word to automate some of the clear up. I realize this is cobbled together, but I did not want to invest the time to do it right at this time (I am volunteering my time on the project).

Not sure what the solution would be for the PowerPoint board but for a webpage export, I would create some custom VBA that incorporated a webpage I built in DereamWeaver or Visual Studio. Like I mentioned about using Mail Merge and Word, it would be similar. You take the HTML and incorporate it into your VBA. Within this VBA/HTML hybrid, you concatenate variables that receive assignments from a query and or DAO.

If I were to guess about the PowerPoint, I would venture towards Mail Merge. It would be the same principle. Start with a query and use the records retrieved by the query to assign values to the varibles. In the case of Mail Merge and Word, the variables are the Merge Fields.

I do appreciate all the guidance and suggestions. At this point I did not want to invest a lot of time, just trying to automate the process a little. It has worked for 4 years, and other projects are pressing.

Thanks again.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.