ittechguy is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 8 Access 2013

Filtered Combobox form criteria from main form in a Navigation Form

I have a filtered combobox called which displays a cabinet name and filters its values based on a textbox I have in my main form (roomsID, which I have hidden from users). To make this work I created a query for the row source of my combo box and added a roomsID field, and set the criteria for [forms]![frmMainRooms]![RoomsID]. It worked great, however when I tried to add my main form to my navigation form, it no longer worked. It asked me to enter parameter values.

I think I could get this to work perhaps if I used [forms]![Navigation Form]![frmMainRooms]![RoomsID]. However, it would then not work if I wasn't viewing it in the navigation form. And I can't simply use [RoomsID] because I'm pulling it from a different form.

How can I fix this?BuildingsSwitches3 (5).zip
    Last edited by ittechguy; 09-13-2015 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Works in navigation form, but not in frmMainRooms

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Not finding a cabinet combobox, just an unbound textbox. Also not finding a hidden roomsID textbox, there is one that is not hidden. Exactly which form and controls are involved?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    If you open up my navigation form and click on the rooms tab it will open up frmMainRooms. In that form I have a subform which contains a combobox that says cabinet id. That's the combobox I'm talking about.

You can also open up my frmMainRooms form and see this.

The problem is I can link it so that it will work in navigation form, or not in navigation form... but not both.

June7 is offline VIP
    Okay, found it on frmSubCabinet.

Don't reference the RoomsID on the main form, reference the RoomsID on the subform.

SELECT Cabinet.CabinetID, Cabinet.CabinetName, Cabinet.RoomsID FROM Cabinet WHERE (((Cabinet.RoomsID)=[RoomsID]));
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    Wow! I'm stupid. Thanks.

Similar question. I'm creating popup forms to allow me to add customers to rooms and such. They're not yet in the database file I uploaded here.

There is a default value and also a where clause in my macro where I link it to the room id from my main form. I click on a button and it opens my popup form Where roomid=[forms]![FrmMainRooms]!roomid.

Obviously this doesn't work inside of a navigation form. I'd need to specify the full path and if I do that, it won't work when not in navigation form.

June7 is offline VIP
    I don't use macros, only VBA.

Would have a similar issue if you placed frmMainForm as a subform on a regular form.

Where is code opening popup in relation to RoomsID?

Windows 8 Access 2013
    I'll show you an example tomorrow. I've done a very similar setup for my customers tab in the navigation form. (if you click on my add customers to rooms button). I just haven't set it up for rooms yet.

Basically, RoomsID is in my main form. I have a button which opens up a popup form. This form contains room ID (hidden), building name, room name, and customer's first name, last name. In the event tab for the button, on the "on click," I open up the macro builder and set it to OpenForm, and select the popup form. I set the data mode to add and under "where condition =" I type in roomid=[forms]![FrmMainRooms]![roomsid]".

At this point I can click on the button and it would open up the correct record, however the RoomsID isn't filled in. So under default value for that text box, I'd type in
    [forms]![FrmMainRooms]![roomsid].

The problem is this works great when using the form frmMainRooms. However if using Navigation Form, it doesn't work at all.

June7 is offline VIP
    If the button and RoomsID are on same form, I would do this in VBA:

DoCmd.OpenForm "formname", , , "RoomsID=" & Me.RoomsID

If you are opening form in Add mode, makes no sense to apply filter criteria.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    The problem is they're not on the same form the rooms ID comes from my main form and I need it to set the default value like that because a popup form can't be a subform. I need it to act like one.

I have another idea I'm going to try though. I think I can allow a user to select a building number and room name and bound the room name to rooms Id. Then have them select a customer and bind that to customerid.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.