P5C768 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2003

Cost of a database

I am designing a db for my wife who works for a small business. The owner is interested in buying the db for the other 10 to 15 employees. Does anyone have experience on how much to charge?

The db is not to fancy, just a few tables, queries and reports with the possibility of additional reports down the road. Is a small monthly fee better than an annual fee?

Also, for managing the database in the future, does anyone have an estimate for an hourly billable rate? I would use the billable rate for my current job (which can be similar to db management) but I know he won't pay it.

Any estimate can be purely speculation but it would be great to get some input from someone with experience. Thanks!

TheShabz is offline Court Jester
    Windows XP Access 2003
    For your salary/wage, Payscale.com
    If you will be the sole supporter of the db, search for database administrator.

I've never done any freelance work so I wouldn't know how much to charge for the initial setup. Take into consideration how much time it will take you to set it up, then add a premium of your choice I guess.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.