Waterdog is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Formatting issues in Report

Hey guys, developing a system for processing product returns. The report has customer info in the report header. Some shipment info in the report footer. And the product details are a list in a subform that is in the details section. I have added in some dotted lines that are drawn in between the product details fields, both in between each field on each line as well as a line going horizontal across the page in between each product in the list. Until adding this in, I hadn't noticed an issue with the report. In the details portion the horizontal dotted line dividing is located above the product fields. To close this table like view off on the report, after the last line I have a horizontal dotted line at the very top edge of the reports footer. Looks great. A problem I've noticed now is if I have multiple items in the list then all looks great. However, if I have just one item in the list then what looks on the report is like I've got two lines in the product list. First line lists the one product, vertical dotted lines show fine in between the details of the product. But then there's a second blank line, as if another product were in the list and THEN after that is the horizontal dotted line to close out the grid. So my question is, where could this mystery second line be coming from? Especially when as I said if I have a report showing multiple items then the formatting looks just fine. No extra line of space. I'm a bit puzzled by this. Hopefully someone here has an idea as to what could be causing this.

nick404 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    could you attach a screenshot of the report and another with the extraneous line?

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Screenshot of report in design view also.

Or provide db. Follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

OK, I kept fiddling with things and came up with somewhat of a solution. In the subreport I put a horizontal bar in the report footer. So now it all looks right. As for the bar that I have in the main report's footer.... still have no idea why it's putting added space when there isn't any in design view but in any case, it's a solution I guess so I can remove the original line. I'll still evidently have a bit of blank space there but at least as far as design goes I won't notice. However, because I'd like to see what dumb thing I'm missing, let's still roll with this one. Maybe I can figure out what I'm missing so I can learn for the future.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ReportScreenCap.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	21480

Above is the report with the added line.

Name:	ReportScreenCapDesignView.jpg 
Size:	145.7 KB 
ID:	21481

This is the design view of the report.

Name:	ReportScreenCapDesignView_Subreport.jpg 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	21482

And this is the design view of the subreport that is found in the details portion of the main report. Note the subreport only now has the added space with line in the report footer. The extra line is located at the very top of the report footer for the main report. Which again, looks just fine with multiple items but for some reason when only one item is in the list then extra space is showing up.

Also note, the above example of this report, 1st picture, is the results of the modifications I did to the subreport. So the line you see there below the item is from me adding a line to the report footer of the subreport. Without that, there wouldn't be a line there right now, just the one after the gap.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Maybe remove the report header/footer from the subreport since there isn't anything in them. Or at least reduce height of footer to 0. See if that makes a difference although really shouldn't because subreport header/footer don't show even if they are enabled.

Maybe the extra space is because the main report detail section height is greater than the height of one record. Try resizing the subreport container to height of 1 record and resize the main report detail section height.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Ahhh, maybe that's the problem! I had tried resizing the details section but it wasn't letting me. Guess I need to further reduce the size of the subreport in it. But I bet that's where the extra space is coming into play. Appreciate your input again. Definitely helps having a second opinion because I hadn't even considered that to be an issue. Thanks June7!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.