Old Access new Access no Access?

Wow, that was right nice of Bill to pull this stunt. Not only did he seperate Access from Office (cha-ching) now I can't open data bases off our network due to conversion issues? :?

Conversions? Bill, your killin me man! :shock:

I installed Office 2003, 1st mistake, I did not read install notes in there entirety, 2nd mistake, I now have Access 2002 installed, turns out 90% of our DB's are Access 2000 or later, maybe more towards later, 3rd mistake. :roll:

I need help man, and this may be beyond mental help!

:wink:

Re: Old Access new Access no Access?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_Stanich
    Wow, that was right nice of Bill to pull this stunt. Not only did he seperate Access from Office (cha-ching) now I can't open data bases off our network due to conversion issues? :?

Conversions? Bill, your killin me man! :shock:
    Well, they're not quite separated. Rather, there are different versions of Office, and not all versions have Access. That is actually a good thing: people who have no interest in Access do not have to pay for it. This has been the case at least since Office 2000, and thus is not a new policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_Stanich
    I installed Office 2003, 1st mistake, I did not read install notes in there entirety, 2nd mistake, I now have Access 2002 installed, turns out 90% of our DB's are Access 2000 or later, maybe more towards later, 3rd mistake. :roll:

I need help man, and this may be beyond mental help!

:wink:
    Well, by default, the file format for Access 2002 (aka XP) and Access 2003 is Access 2000. So, unless your coworkers deliberately upsized their mdb files to Access 2003, or are creating their new mdb's in Access 2003 file format, you should be just fine.

Just in...My whole problem with the install is the original db's are for Access 97.

Thank you for your comments.

Happy Holidays!

pardon the late bump

i have had this problem as well

you can try to convert the database

tools>database utilities>convert database

if that errors out, it could give you a general error i think -301, i can't remember off the top of my head, but it will be in description, and there are multiple websites than can give you solutions and reasons for this

in my personal situation, i just manually converted every query, table, etc., and still had to change things because somethings that are in office97 are not in 03. in my case i had to re-write a query because the link child property was no longer present.

this isn't really an answer, but hopefully it gives you a little more idea of what you might be dealing with.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.