MFriend is offline Novice
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)

Adding a Calculated Date Field to a Query

Hi Folks: I am trying to create a calculated date field.

In the database is a date called "Shoeing Date". The horses need shoeing every 6 weeks so I need to be able to add 6 weeks (42 days) to that date.

Here is the SQL Code so far:

Code:
    SELECT DISTINCTROW Historical.[Common Name], Max([Hoof Care].[Shoeing Date]) AS [First Of Shoeing Date]
    FROM Historical INNER JOIN [Hoof Care] ON Historical.[Animal] = [Hoof Care].[Animal]
    GROUP BY Historical.[Common Name]
    HAVING (((First([Hoof Care].Farrier))="COATS"))
    ORDER BY Historical.[Common Name];
    Here is what I am trying to do:
    I'm not sure how to word or write the formula to get it to work properly. If I try to add 42 to the current date I get the error below.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	access_calculated_field.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	21373

I have attached the access file (zipped) if that helps.

Thanks,
    Matthew
    Attached Files Attached Files

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    no, its this...date add 42 d (days)

=dateadd("d",42,[Shoeing Date]) as SD

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Why have DISTINCTROW and GROUP BY in the same query?

Day is default unit when using dates in arithmetic.

Try: Max([Shoeing Date] + 42)
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Hi Ranman256 and June7:

I'm a noob when it comes to Access (it's been a year since I tried developing with it). I get the following errors (not sure what I'm doing wrong):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	expression_error.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	21378
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails error Data Mismatch.JPG  

June7 is online now VIP
    I suggested using Max() on the calculated field.

Or do this simple addition calc in textbox on report.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Hi June:

Did i put it in the wrong box? I tried it a half dozen different ways.

Sorry I'm dense.

Matthew

June7 is online now VIP
    Max is selected from the Total row, just like you did for First Of Shoeing Date. And instead of the default Expr1, type something more informative.

Thanks June and Ranman.... its working now.
    I appreciate both of yours help.

Matthew

LaughingBull is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 8 Access 2003
    Examples that use the current date in their criteria

To include items that ... Use this criteria Query result
    Contain today's date Date() Returns items with a date of today. If today's date is 2/2/2012, you’ll see items where the date field is set to Feb 2, 2012.
    Contain yesterday's date Date()-1 Returns items with yesterday’s date. If today's date is 2/2/2012, you’ll see items for Feb 1, 2012.
    Contain tomorrow's date Date() + 1 Returns items with tomorrow’s date. If today's date is Feb 2, 2012, you’ll see items for Feb 3, 2012.
    Contain dates within the current week DatePart("ww", [SalesDate]) = DatePart("ww", Date()) and Year( [SalesDate]) = Year(Date()) Returns items with dates during the current week. A week in Access starts on Sunday and ends on Saturday.
    Contain dates within the previous week Year([SalesDate])* 53 + DatePart("ww", [SalesDate]) = Year(Date())* 53 + DatePart("ww", Date()) - 1 Returns items with dates during the last week. A week in Access starts on Sunday and ends on Saturday.
    Contain dates within the following week Year([SalesDate])* 53+DatePart("ww", [SalesDate]) = Year(Date())* 53+DatePart("ww", Date()) + 1 Returns items with dates during next week. A week in Access starts on Sunday and ends on Saturday.
    Contain a date within the last 7 days Between Date() and Date()-6 Returns items with dates during the last 7 days. If today's date is 2/2/2012, you’ll see items for the period Jan 24, 2012 through Feb 2, 2012.
    Contain a date within the current month Year([SalesDate]) = Year(Now()) And Month([SalesDate]) = Month(Now()) Returns items with dates in the current month. If today's date is 2/2/2012, you’ll see items for Feb 2012.
    Contain a date within the previous month Year([SalesDate])* 12 + DatePart("m", [SalesDate]) = Year(Date())* 12 + DatePart("m", Date()) - 1 Returns items with dates in the previous month. If today's date is 2/2/2012, you’ll see items for Jan 2012.
    Contain a date within the next month Year([SalesDate])* 12 + DatePart("m", [SalesDate]) = Year(Date())* 12 + DatePart("m", Date()) + 1 Returns items with dates in the next month. If today's date is 2/2/2012, you’ll see items for Mar 2012.
    Contain a date within the last 30 or 31 days Between Date( ) And DateAdd("M", -1, Date( )) Returns a month's worth of items. If today's date is 2/2/2012, you’ll see items for the period Jan 2, 2012 to Feb 2, 2012.
    Contain a date within the current quarter Year([SalesDate]) = Year(Now()) And DatePart("q", [SalesDate]) = DatePart("q", Now()) Returns items for the current quarter. If today's date is 2/2/2012, you’ll see items for the first quarter of 2012.
    Contain a date within the previous quarter Year([SalesDate])*4+DatePart("q",[SalesDate]) = Year(Date())*4+DatePart("q",Date())- 1 Returns items for the previous quarter. If today's date is 2/2/2012, you’ll see items for the last quarter of 2011.
    Contain a date within the next quarter Year([SalesDate])*4+DatePart("q",[SalesDate]) = Year(Date())*4+DatePart("q",Date())+1 Returns items for the next quarter. If today's date is 2/2/2012, you’ll see items for the second quarter of 2012.
    Contain a date within the current year Year([SalesDate]) = Year(Date()) Returns items for the current year. If today's date is 2/2/2012, you’ll see items for the year 2012.
    Contain a date within the previous year Year([SalesDate]) = Year(Date()) - 1 Returns items for the previous year. If today's date is 2/2/2012, you’ll see items for the year 2011.
    Contain a date within the next year Year([SalesDate]) = Year(Date()) + 1 Returns items with next year's date. If today's date is 2/2/2012, you’ll see items for the year 2013.
    Contain a date between Jan 1 and today (year-to-date items) Year([SalesDate]) = Year(Date()) and Month([SalesDate]) <= Month(Date()) and Day([SalesDate]) <= Day (Date()) Returns items with dates between Jan 1 of the current year and today. If today's date is 2/2/2012, you’ll see items for the period Jan 1, 2012 to 2/2/2012.
    Contain a date that occurred in the past < Date() Returns items with dates before today.
    Contain a date that occurs in the future > Date() Returns items with dates after today.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.