Abbey is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Post Compile Access Application

I have an an Access database built with forms, queries and reports and macros. I can run this macro based app automatically calling the main form from startup. I want to distribute the access app to the users' environment so as to limit them from making changes.

I need help about how to compile this application and where to find the right tools to do it.

I will appreciate any help on this

nick404 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Sounds like you want to split the database, create and accde front end, and then distribute that front end to multiple users so they can have it on their desktop.

Splitting increases oper-ability, speed, prevention of data corruption, &c.
    ACCDE locks down the front end so the user cannot alter forms & reports via design view and code. They are still able to create their own queries and such for their purposes.

To split the db: https://support.office.com/en-ie/art...b1d73498cc#bm3
    1. Create a back up of the database you are splitting.
    2. Open the back up, In the 'Database Tools' tab select 'Access Database'.
    3. In the pop-up click Split Database, name it (This will be the back end- so usually named "databaseName_be" to signify back end). Select the location of the back end. Pick a secure spot somewhere on a shared drive that everyone who needs to access it has permission. Click Split and depending on db size it might take a while.
    4. The database that you have open right now then becomes the front end (I usually rename it with _fe so I remember) which has linked tables to the back end so that data can still be communicated between the two.

To create an ACCDE version of this front end (if you want create an additional copy of the front end on your local drive). Select 'Make ACCDE' in the 'Database Tools' tab. http://www.databasedev.co.uk/convert...de_format.html

You can then email this version to the people who need it and tell them to throw it on their desktop, or put it on flash drive and distribute it, or place it on a shared network and give the location for others to copy to their computer.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.