tangerine3 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 97

working with older versions in windows 7 and ms office 2007

Hi,

I am possibly going to buy a laptop with Windows 7 Ultimate and MS Office 2007 installed. I have a database that I need to use on it that was created in Access 2000. Will it work? If not, will Windows 7 be the problem or MS Office 2007? Are there any fixes I can do? Thank you.

Datagopherdan is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    I started using Windows 7 about a month ago and I have worked on Access 2000 databases and I have not had any problems with it, so as far as I know, you should not have any issues.

Dan
    Access Development

Windows XP Access 97
    Quote Originally Posted by Datagopherdan View Post
    I started using Windows 7 about a month ago and I have worked on Access 2000 databases and I have not had any problems with it, so as far as I know, you should not have any issues.

Dan
    Access Development
    but what about MS Office 2007? will an Access 2000 database be able to be opened and function properly in the newer version?

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    Other than getting used to the new development interface, you should have no difficulty running/developing ac2000 mdb's.

PianoMan64 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Office 2000 vs 2007 Differences

Quote Originally Posted by tangerine3 View Post
    but what about MS Office 2007? will an Access 2000 database be able to be opened and function properly in the newer version?
    besides the main differences between the different versions of MS Access, there are some funcationality that has been removed that is still in the application, but there isn't a selectable menu option to get to it.

If your application take advantage of User Level Security (MDW files) with you MDB file, then the only way to mount the Secuity workgroup file is by issuing the following command on the Imediate window.

Code:
    docmd.RunCommand acCmdWorkgroupAdministrator

Windows XP Access 97
    uh oh. I received the new laptop and copied my Access 2000 database over and when I tried to open it it came up with something like a popup blocker/security office thing. It had the option of trusting this database for this time only. I clicked ok and then my database would work. But then I found I didn't want to have that box come up everytime and found a way to disable what I think was a Office 2007 security option and when I did this now my database will open but will not work.
    Does anyone know what setting i could possibly be talking about for office 2007? Can it be reversed? Otherwise my only option now would be to install my old version of Access 2000 on this laptop and hope my database will go back to working using that.
    Or I will need to find someone to "convert" my database so it will work with Access 2007. Any and all suggestions appreciated. I am not capable of working on the database myself.

Windows 7 Access 2007
    Simply make sure your db in in a Trusted Location. OfficeButton(top left)>AccessOptions(button on the bottom)>TrustCenter

Windows XP Access 97
    Quote Originally Posted by RuralGuy View Post
    Simply make sure your db in in a Trusted Location. OfficeButton(top left)>AccessOptions(button on the bottom)>TrustCenter
    whoa that worked! forgive me because today is the first time using Windows 7 also.

Now will all my functions work? I guess I'll have to play around and find out. . . . of course I have a backup.

If not, is it safe to install Access 2000 and just use the older version with Windows 7 Ultimate?

Windows 7 Access 2007
    I'm sure you will find that all of your functions work just fine. If you are satisfied with the results then go ahead and follow the link in my sig and mark this thread as Solved.

Windows XP Access 97
    Here is a more detailed answer of how this problem was solved.

You can easily get rid of the security message. When you open the database and you get the screen to “Enable this content” there is a link to open the Trust Center at the bottom left. Click the link and select Trusted Locations on the left side. On the Trusted Locations screen press the Add new location button . Then use the Browse button to select the folder where the app is stored. If you have a subfolder, check the Subfolders check box. Then press OK.

Then press OK to exit out. Next time you open the database you shouldn’t be prompted.

Windows 7 Access 2007
    Outstanding. Thanks for posting back.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.