missb is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Question Displaying max value from a table on a form, based on drop down option on the same form

I have created a tabbed controlled form and on one of the tabs, a value is selected from a drop down list, then basic information relating to that value is automatically displayed. then new information is added and all the new data is collected in a table, this works beautifully, however the issue i'm having is this. I need to run a query based on that table. Basically look at the value selected in the drop down(unit#), compare to tables'(unit#) if they match then display max value of column 3. Seems simple enough right!, well for the life of me I cannot get it to work keep getting error #name reference errors......... please help.

I have included a snapshot like I said basic stuff, just stuck

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	19 
Size:	14.1 KB 
ID:	21163

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    Are you SURE the combo name is UNIT#?
    The query that pulls the MAX value, must reference the form object name NOT the field name. (but they could be the same)
    so the criteria for [unit#]
    ...where [unit#] = forms!frmFormName![unit#]

usu I name my combo boxs cboState, or cboUnit,

missb is offline Novice
    the formula looks like this,
    =IIf([Data_Vehicle(s) Query]![UN_Unit]=[Form_Data_Unit],[Data_Vehicle(s) Query]![Max Of Data_Km's],"") i built it in the expression builder so would assume id have the correct names?

Ive confirm the query is pulling the correct information, see below

Name:	query.PNG 
Views:	16 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	21164

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I never use the expression builder.

An = sign would be used in textbox ControlSource, not in query if the expression is to construct a field.

Exactly where is that expression used? In expression in textbox cannot refer directly to a table or query object.

I presume that query is NOT the form RecordSource.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

missb is offline Novice
    The query is not the record source, for the form, no, this is:

SELECT Un_units.UN_Unit, Un_units.Un_Info, Un_units.UN_Vin, Un_units.UN_Plate, Un_units.UN_Fuel, Un_units.UN_Color, Un_units.UN_Ownership, [Data_Vehicle(s)].Data_Unit, [Data_Vehicle(s)].Data_Vendor, [Data_Vehicle(s)].[Data_Invoice#], [Data_Vehicle(s)].Data_Cost, [Data_Vehicle(s)].Data_Warrenty, [Data_Vehicle(s)].Data_Comments, [Data_Vehicle(s)].[Data_Km's], [Data_Vehicle(s)].Data_Date, [Data_Vehicle(s)].Data_OilChange, [Data_Vehicle(s)].[Data_Oil Filter], [Data_Vehicle(s)].Data_Lubricants, [Data_Vehicle(s)].[Data_Air Filter], [Data_Vehicle(s)].Data_Wipers, [Data_Vehicle(s)].Data_WiperFluid, [Data_Vehicle(s)].Data_Lights, [Data_Vehicle(s)].Data_Tires, [Data_Vehicle(s)].Data_LugNuts, [Data_Vehicle(s)].Data_Steering, [Data_Vehicle(s)].Data_SteeringFluid, [Data_Vehicle(s)].Data_Brakes, [Data_Vehicle(s)].Data_Suspension, [Data_Vehicle(s)].Data_DriveShaft, [Data_Vehicle(s)].Data_TireChange, [Data_Vehicle(s)].[Data_Diff/TC Oil], [Data_Vehicle(s)].Data_FuelFilter, [Data_Vehicle(s)].Data_TrannyFlush FROM Un_units INNER JOIN [Data_Vehicle(s)] ON Un_units.ID = [Data_Vehicle(s)].Data_Unit;.

the expression is being used in a text box ControlSource as displayed below

Name:	query2.PNG 
Views:	14 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	21166

June7 is online now VIP
    As noted, that expression cannot refer directly to table or query object. I really don't understand what you are trying to do. Your statement "Basically look at the value selected in the drop down(unit#), compare to tables'(unit#) if they match then display max value of column 3." does not make sense to me.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    Your naming convention is very poor. Object names should only be letters, numbers and maybe the underscore. NO spaces, punctuation or special characters
    Examples:
    Table name "Data_Vehicle(s)" has parenthesis
    Field name "[Data_Invoice#]" has special character
    Field name "[Data_Km's]" has apostrophe
    Field name "[Data_Diff/TC Oil]" has space and slash

Code:
    =IIf([Data_Vehicle(s) Query]![UN_Unit]=[Form_Data_Unit],[Data_Vehicle(s) Query]![Max Of Data_Km's],"")
    =IF( condition, Value if TRUE, Value if FALSE)

Condition: [Data_Vehicle(s) Query]![UN_Unit]=[Form_Data_Unit], <<-What is [Form_Data_Unit]? Do you have a control named "[Form_Data_Unit]"?
    Value if TRUE:[Data_Vehicle(s) Query]![Max Of Data_Km's] <<- as noted, can't refer to table/query data this way.
    Value if FALSE: ""

In any case, formula probably won't return what you want.
    As much as I try not to use aggregate functions, in this case you probably should use the DMax() function.

The picture in post #3 concerns me. It shows that the PK field "Un_units.ID" (another poor field name) is related to the field "[Data_Vehicle(s)].Data_Unit".
    Is "Un_units.ID" an Autonumber type field?
    (I would have named the PK field "UnitID_PK" and the FK field "UnitID_FK". Easier to know what is the PK field and what are the FK fields)

-----------------
    Not trying to burn you, but it is easier to create forms/queries/reports if there is a normalized table structure..

Just my $0.02.........good luck with your project.

missb is offline Novice
    The whole point of this was to get input on how i can get my form to display the information I need.

I have a table i run a form off, within that form there is a drop down option (vehicle units)
    I need a formula that will look at the option selected (from the drop down, in the form) say unit A is selected, then go into a table find all the (unit A's) in column 1, and find the max value of column 2 (Km's), and show the results on the form somewhere.
    I am trying to find the last reported km's to know when the next oil change is.

If i cant refer directly to a table or query? what is the best way to do this. Ive never used a DMax() function before........

PK ID's are auto named based of the table name, as well I have always labeled (Source_Column_Formula) to me that's pretty clear and very easy to find or reference to, the key is being consistent with labeling. max data, was to show the formula i tried that didn't work, it isn't sticking around.
    Excuse the frustration, but it seems instead of asking questions to help me, there is more picking at how i labeled things and the clarity of my question, instead of suggestions.

June7 is online now VIP
    I would be happy to suggest a solution if I fully understood the requirement.

If you want to pull data from a table or query that is not included in the form's RecordSource, options are:

1. domain aggregate function (DLookup, DSum, DMax, DMin, etc) which can be used in form's RecordSource query or in a textbox ControlSource expression

2. VBA code which could use recordset or domain aggregate

Search Access Help or web for lots of guidance on how to use these functions.

missb is offline Novice
    and i am not sure how I can clarify anymore then i have..... i guess ill try access help

June7 is online now VIP
    There are also SQL aggregate functions (Sum, Max, Min, etc) which you seem to have used in a query to calculate a field [Max of Data_Km's]. If you want to pull data from that query onto form, that will require one of the methods I described.

Where I get lost is the comparison you want to do "look at the value selected in the drop down(unit#), compare to tables'(unit#)". If that table is not the form's RecordSource, how do you expect to have the table value available for comparison? And which record of the table? Maybe in a textbox on form:

=IIf([comboboxname]=[fieldname], DMax("[Max Of Data_Km's]", "queryname", "some criteria here"), Null)

As suggested, do some research on use of domain aggregates for details on the function arguments.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.