Rosadocc is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2007

Ideas On Simplifying Constantly Used If Function

Hello All,

I am new to this forum and look forward to being a active and contributing member.

I hope someone can help me with a question I have regarding IF functions. I will be querying a database that will have two fields that will constantly require multiple IF functions when running the query. For example, one field will constantly require this expression:

If FIELD_1 in database_A is ABC, it will return "Letters"
    If FIELD_1 in database_A is 123, it will return "Numbers"

Field: IIf(([database_A]![FIELD_1]="ABC"),"Letters", IIf(([database_A]![FIELD_1]="123"),"Numbers")))

I plan on having about 20 saved automated queries that will require such function in that field and on occasion, the parameters in the IF functions in that field may need to be tweaked throughout the year, such as If FIELD_1 is ABC, it will now return "TEXT" instead of "Letters".

My main question here is,
    is there a simplified way of only making changes to the parameters once, instead of having to go into each of the 20 saved queries and going into the expression in Builder for each query and making the changes?

I apologize in advance for my inexperience in Access but any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Often times I will use VBA to manage variables. If you feel the need for many saved query objects or the need to edit queries on the fly, this may be an indicator of a data structure that is not normalized. Have you looked into the rules of Normalization? What is the DB being used for? The first steps of putting together your DB should be identifying the Entities and Business Rules.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.