LeesKeys is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2000

run-time error 6124 when trying to merge documents

I have several Word documents set up to receive data merged from an Access database using the document bookmarks. This procedure has been working well for several years using first Access 2003 and more recently Access 2010. Today I installed Office 365. The merge documents no longer work. The code in the module assigned to the merge start to run and thenit stops when it tries to access data from the Access form which is referenced in the code. I get a runtime 6124 error telling me that the form is protected. Interestingly, the merge will work correctly if the Word document is not set up as "read only". However, I need to document to be read only so that when users merge data into the document the new data will not be saved unless the document is renamed ("save as").

Does this make sense?

Any suggestions?

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    It may have less to do with Office 365 and more so with copying over your Word Doc to a new directory or accessing your Word Doc from a different User Login. Another reason it may be Read Only is a "Trusted Files" setting. I would be surprised if you have access to change the values of Merge Fields in a document opened as Read Only.

If you have the capability to change the values via a connection string and it is read only, perhaps the best way to proceed is to Save As.

LeesKeys is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Sorry, I don't understand exactly what you're saying. There is no login other than logging into our network after Windows 7 loads. I'm not copying the document to a new directory, simply trying to open and merge the document in its current directory. I wonder about the Trusted Files setting. It does seem that it has something to do with Office 365 because the problem didn't occur after I uninstalled O365 and went back to using Word 2010.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by LeesKeys View Post
    ...There is no login other than logging into our network after Windows 7 loads...
    Perhaps another login was never used. However, that does not mean it is not possible to create a "Local" user profile on a machine that is joined to a Domain.

If I login to the Domain using the name Joe, a folder will be created within the Users folder. The name of the folder will be Joe. the environ function will return Joe. This is only true if there is not another "Joe" user profile that is already present.

If, before I ever login to the Domain (for instance before the machine is joined to the Domain), I login to the local machine using the name Joe, a folder will be created using the name Joe. Subsequent logins (that are not to the local machine and using the name Joe) will create a different folder.

Step one

Step two
    Create a file in the Documents folder and then log off.

Step three
    Using the same machine and the name Joe to log into the Domain.

Step four
    Navigate to the Documents folder and ask yourself where the file is that you created earlier.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.