Dotson525 is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013

Creating database for test scores

Hello,

I am looking to create a database that collects data from past tests, predict probable future score, and compare to goal score. Currently I am studying for the Bar Exam and want to track (in all 7 subjects):
    -my current scores for practice exams
    -prediction of what my score will be on exam day
    -comparison of actual and goal score
    -comparison of predictive and goal score
    -all of the above, separated by different types of Tests for each subject

Below is an example of the type of data
    Ex: Civil Procedure--06/15/15-Kaplan questions-> 6/10 (60% practice score)-> (predict gain 1 point 70%)-> (actual exam goal 20/28=71%)
    Civil Procedure --06/15/15--past MBE questions->7/10 (70% practice score)->(predict gain 1 point 80%)-> (actual exam goal 20/28=71%)

Also from this data I want to generate graphs

Would this be possible in Access? Should I use excel instead?

All suggestions are appreciated!

Thank you,

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by Dotson525 View Post
    ...All suggestions are appreciated!...
    Stay focused on your Bar Exam. It is not like you are going after a Masters in Engineering and you need to prove competency in different fields. I would suggest spending your spare time playing solitaire or building ships in a bottle or something. After you pass you exam, study relational database theory. It is a great tool to have. But, I would put it on hold if I was studying for an exam.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    Thanks for the input! Under normal circumstances I would not worry about individual scores for each subject. However, currently I am working two jobs, and need to narrow down which subjects I need to focus more attention on within multiple choice. The exam is a month away, but due to time constraints I need to make every minute count. I was hoping Access would do most of the work (basically all that would be needed is to add the practice scores each time). Also I just purchased Office 365, and now have Access. However, I might have to go back to Excel, because I am more familiar with the program.

Thanks for suggesting relational database theory!

Because it involves statistics and graphs, you will need to understand lots. One month is not enough to understand lots. As for the bar exam, maybe there is a mentor that can help you to identify your weaknesses and strong points. Otherwise, use the tools familiar to you. Access is great at helping you to manage data and I use it to manage statistical data. But, I employ advanced techniques to do so.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    Thanks! I had a feeling that inputting such data within Access would be time consuming for me. Thank you for the input. It has saved me some valuable time. When I first was looking at techniques on how to accomplish this, I felt really dumb. I'm glad to hear that its not just me. Thanks for being understanding.

You bet! Good luck with your exam and come back to learn about Access and how you can put it to use in your daily activities.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.