jparker1954 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2003

Microsoft Jet database engine ERROR message.

I have a master database that is populated by 4 smaller databases that are uploaded to the master with an append query. We have been using these since 2011 with great success. Recently our IT admin transferred the databases to a new server. I updated the links from the master to the smaller databases and vice versa as needed. NO other changes were made to the databases. However, now, I am able to run the master and upload from the 4 smaller databases with no problem, but the other 3 locations get the following message when they try to upload to the master file. The CFLHarvestingLog.mdb is alphabetically the first file in the set of 4 smaller databases. What can we do to stop this error from happening and allow the append process to proceed.? AGAIN, this set of databases has worked great for 4 years until they were copied over to the new server. Links between the files have been checked and double checked for accuracy by me and by the IT rep. One last thing. I use Access 2007, but all the other locations are on Access 2003. That's not going to change soon, and the database is saved as Access 2003. Any help you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ERROR.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	20972

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    As the message indicates, could be a permissions issue. Check folder permissions where file is located.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    I think I understand that the file was moved from one directory to another. If this is true, there may be an issue of ownership. This can be addressed within the Security section of the Permissions window. There should be an advanced feature there that will address permissions issues for child objects.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsMe View Post
    I think I understand that the file was moved from one directory to another. If this is true, there may be an issue of ownership. This can be addressed within the Security section of the Permissions window. There should be an advanced feature there that will address permissions issues for child objects.
    We checked the folders permissions and they all allow access to the files to any users. However within the Access Database itself. I found this page. Could the open exclusive box be the problem? Don't want to make things worse by unchecking it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dbscreen.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	20983

What I was referring to earlier has to do with Active Directory and how permissions can be associated to a file that was created in one folder and then moved to another folder. If this is the cause of the problem the file needs to have its "Owner" adjusted. This is done through advanced options within the Security settings of the "Folder". It is best to do this at the Server from its terminal.

What you are showing there is something that I have not seen in many years. IIRC there is one default user when you first create an MDB file. This user is Admin. You want the Admin to have "Rights" to do things. One of those things is to open the DB in Exclusive mode. So, I would not goof around with that tick box. You open a DB in exclusive mode via another process. There are options to add additional users and grant additional users certain privileges. It does not seem you have done this and this is a good thing.

My best guess is the smaller DB's were created by a user that is not the same user opening the main DB or is not the user associated with the machine that is opening the main DB. I would check who the Owner of the file is. This is not to be confused with permissions. Security and Owner trump Permissions.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsMe View Post
    What I was referring to earlier has to do with Active Directory and how permissions can be associated to a file that was created in one folder and then moved to another folder. If this is the cause of the problem the file needs to have its "Owner" adjusted. This is done through advanced options within the Security settings of the "Folder". It is best to do this at the Server from its terminal.

What you are showing there is something that I have not seen in many years. IIRC there is one default user when you first create an MDB file. This user is Admin. You want the Admin to have "Rights" to do things. One of those things is to open the DB in Exclusive mode. So, I would not goof around with that tick box. You open a DB in exclusive mode via another process. There are options to add additional users and grant additional users certain privileges. It does not seem you have done this and this is a good thing.

My best guess is the smaller DB's were created by a user that is not the same user opening the main DB or is not the user associated with the machine that is opening the main DB. I would check who the Owner of the file is. This is not to be confused with permissions. Security and Owner trump Permissions.
    Thanks, this information is helpful. I am the one who created ALL the databases in use here. Hence, I am having no problems on my machine running them. It's my coworkers at other sites who are having the issues. I will work some more with our IT rep on this.

Quote Originally Posted by jparker1954 View Post
    ...Hence, I am having no problems on my machine running them. It's my coworkers at other sites who are having the issues...
    That pretty much nails it.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.