Timetable is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Database for school assessment results

Hello,I've been searching for a while on the internet and these forums, but I can't quite wrap my head around how to achieve what I want to.Currently I have a number of spreadsheets tracking data for a secondary school. There are 5 year groups. Within each year group are two or more ability groups. Each ability group does a number of assessments through the year. Each assessment's data is inputted question by question under a new worksheet (Test 1, Test 2, etc). I have attached a sample attachment to illustrate this setup a little better.These spreadsheets have a lot of duplicate data, and I feel a move to Access would make the data management more straightforward. My issue is I can't quite understand how to set the database up.My initial thoughts were as so:One teacher can have many classesOne class can have many studentsOne student can have many testsOne test can have many students (that attempt it)One test can have many questionsOne question can have many answers (from different students)I'm at a loss as to how to set this up effectively to encompass all year groups' data. If anyone could please help me work out how to do this, I'd be extremely grateful.Thank you.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Apologies for the formatting. For some reason it removed all paragraph formatting and I cannot save my edit to the post.

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    This may get you started structure wise: tables and fields

tStudents
    --------
    StudentID auto
    First
    last
    addr
    city
    st
    zip

tTeachers
    --------
    TeachID auto
    First
    last
    addr
    city
    st
    zip

tSchoolYr (Each school year/semester)
    --------
    YearID auto
    School
    year

tClasses (classes available to take) *not sure if it applies to your structure
    --------
    ClassID auto
    YearID
    ClassName
    TeachID

tAbGroups (ability groups available)
    --------
    GroupID auto
    GroupName

tAbGroupsYr (ability groups for the year)
    --------
    AbGrpYrID auto
    GroupID
    YearID

tGroupRoster (students in the group that year)
    --------
    RosterID auto
    AbGrpYrID
    StudentID

tTests (tests that were given for a group)
    ----------
    TestID auto
    AbGrpYrID
    Date

tStudentTests
    ----------
    StudentTestID auto
    TestID
    RosterID
    Grade

That seems great, thank you. I shall get back to you once I have the relationships sorted. A major sticking point, however, is the StudentTests table - this is what's causing me most trouble in creating my own database. We currently input data question by question, and each question has an associated topic. This allows us to run checks on what people are consistently getting wrong, so we can focus teaching on that topic area. In the past I've tried having "Question 1", "Question 2", "Question 3", etc. fields where the user inputs the score for each corresponding question. The only issue when I do that is I can't see what topic each question was, nor can I see how many marks were available (which is easy to do at a glance using my current spreadsheet system). Have you any ideas how I can overcome this? I really want to move our data to Access, but without being able to see what topic or how many marks are available for each question I cannot warrant the move to my colleagues. Thanks again!

Sorry for the double post, but again the formatting has gone awry and it won't let me save changes to my edit. Just as general forum advice, how do I avoid this problem?

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    To better understand database design concepts - tables, attributes and relationships - work through this tutorial from RogersAccessLibrary. You will learn concepts by experiencing the process of working from a problem definition to an entity relationship diagram which is the blueprint of your database.
    There are other database design tutorials with solutions. Work through some of these until you understand the concepts. It will save you hours of trial and error and will also show where design fits in the process of database development.

Good luck.

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    sorry, didnt know you wanted the actual test questions stored....so something like:

tTest
    [testID]
    [DateOfTest]

tTestQs
    [TestQID]
    [TestID]
    [Q]
    [A]

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.