Ok my product table has

ProductID
    ProductCode
    ProductName
    ProductSupplier
    June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Bind a form to the Orders table.

On that form, build a combobox to list the products. The combobox can have multiple columns http://datapigtechnologies.com/flash...combobox3.html. These columns can contain all the fields of the Products table.

To display the product info elsewhere (outside the combobox list) on form, have textboxes with expressions that reference combobox columns by index (index begins with 0), such as: =[comboboxname].[Column](1)

Now you have to decide whether or not to save the product price or product ID into Orders table because prices can change over time and do not want new price to override price used for old orders. Saving the price will require code (macro or VBA). Alternatively, save the ID and create a new record in Products when a product price changes and have a field in Products to indicate 'inactive' or a date field that can be used to retrieve the latest price record for each product and then restrict the combobox list to only active price records when entering a new order record - will also require some VBA code.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Raleyoz is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Finally, love your work and effort
    I will try this today
    And your final point is potentially true but in 99.9%of the time the price rise will accompany a new version of the product which will be a new product, so if it happens I could just enter it as a v2 (version 2)
    Thank you

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    You may get some ideas from this post. You are a self-identified "noob", so there may be more to your question/solution than you have described.
    Good luck.

Raleyoz is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Bind a form to the Orders table.

On that form, build a combobox to list the products. The combobox can have multiple columns http://datapigtechnologies.com/flash...combobox3.html. These columns can contain all the fields of the Products table.

To display the product info elsewhere (outside the combobox list) on form, have textboxes with expressions that reference combobox columns by index (index begins with 0), such as: =[comboboxname].[Column](1)
    i have created the combobox and it dropsdown correctly with the info i have selected, so far so good
    now to enter the expression like you recommend, where do i enter this i am pretty sure it is to be done in the Form design, but where exactly do i enter =[comboboxname].[Column](1)

thanks

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    In a textbox ControlSource property.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.