Bdenn is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Exclamation SQL Where Clause Not Working

Hello,

Having a little issue with the following SQL:
    Code:
    SELECT DateStamp, DiscrepancyID, DiscrepancySubject, DiscrepancyStatus, DiscrepancyPriorityFROM tblDiscrepPriority, tblDiscrep
    WHERE DiscrepancyPriority="Archive"
    ORDER BY DateStamp;
    I want a query that displays anything that has been selected as Archive will be populated when this query is ran.

Now issues:
    This Archive drop down menu lives in tblDiscrep. But I used the lookup wizard under datatype in design view. So what this does is I have a table called tblDiscrepPriority and anything that is entered into this table will show up in the dropdown menu in table tblDiscrep under the column DiscrepancyStatus. When query is ran currently it puts all items from tblDiscrep into the query and puts Archived next to it all when really right now I only have one item that is displayed as Archived.

What exactly is the SQL to make this work? Do I need to call up both tables in the SQL?
    The Query Fails and does not run if I only use the tblDiscrep Table.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Discrepancy Status is a dropdown menu.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	136.4 KB 
ID:	20624

Name:	Database in Design View.png 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	20623

Name:	Main Database.jpg 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	20625

Name:	Query For Archived.jpg 
Size:	107.7 KB 
ID:	20626
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SQL Statment.png  

Bdenn is offline Novice
    2 Other Photos dealing with the issue.

Name:	SQL Statment.png 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	20628

Name:	This Should display only Archived Items.jpg 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	20629

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Do I need to call up both tables in the SQL?
    I don't have a lot of experience with lookup fields and the wizard that creates them. I seem to remember an option within the wizard for storing the values in a table. If you did this, I would guess it is a matter of bringing the table onto the design window, creating a join, adding the field to the grid, adding criteria to the field, and deleting the field that is the lookup field in tblDiscrep.

Having said that, if it is not too late, I would consider getting rid if that lookup field.

Bdenn is offline Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsMe View Post
    I don't have a lot of experience with lookup fields and the wizard that creates them. I seem to remember an option within the wizard for storing the values in a table. If you did this, I would guess it is a matter of bringing the table onto the design window, creating a join, adding the field to the grid, adding criteria to the field, and deleting the field that is the lookup field in tblDiscrep.

Having said that, if it is not too late, I would consider getting rid if that lookup field.
    The problem is I need to use this drop down because I need other users to use nothing else but what is available in the box "DiscrepancyStatus"

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    A few things:

-With relational database, every table should have a PrimaryKey which uniquely identifies each and every record in the table.
    -You should avoid the Access Lookup Wizard to add lookup(data type) fields within tables. see this for details. This 'FEATURE" is specific to Access and most developers will tell you to avoid it for several reasons.
    -Your SQL represents a Cartesian Product which I don't think you want.

I see you have 3 posts on this forum, so I'm going to suggest this tutorial on database and table design. This normally takes 30-45 minutes and will teach you design concepts. It will also help you with relationships between tables. You have to work through it to get the benefits.

Good luck.

You could try using an index as criteria for the field that is the lookup field. Instead of typing Archive in the Criteria field type 1 or maybe 0. I think it starts as 1 Index.

Bdenn is offline Novice
    Alright, so is it possible to have "DiscrepancyStatus" column have a drop down menu with only the items I want. As in this information will be referenced by another table and only display whats in the other table?

Also, all of my tables have primary keys so we should be good there.

Im guessing this will working fine (SQL) if I disable the lookup wizard but whats the work around?

Not following your questions, exactly.

The alternative to Lookup Fields is to store the stuff in another table. If you need a pulldown/dropdown effect, you can achieve this in a form using a Combobox control.

The Combobox control will display stuff that is defined by its RowSource. Insert SQL into the combo's RowSource to retrieve the desired records.

Bdenn is offline Novice
    I will take a look at that.. so do the same thing. Kill the wizard and use a form to reference the other table.

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    If you have distinct values for DiscrepancyStatus, you can create a reference table:

eg

tblDiscrepancyStatus
    DiscrepancyStatusId autonumber Primary Key
    DiscrepancyStatusDesc text

with values ( Taken from your post )
    1 Weather Conditions
    2 Low Priority
    3 High Priority
    4 Archive
    5 Site Work

Then in your tblDiscrepancy you would add a field (FK to tblDiscrepancyStatus) called DiscrepancyStatusId (numeric, long integer)

Then your query SQL would be along the line of :
    Code:
    SELECT tblDiscrepancy.DateStamp, tblDiscrepancy.DiscrepancyID, tblDiscrepancy.DiscrepancySubject, tblDiscrepancyStatus.DiscrepancyStatusDesc, tblDiscrepancy.DiscrepancyPriority
     FROM tblDiscrepancyStatus  INNER JOIN tblDiscrepancy
    ON tblDiscrepancyStatus.DiscrepancyStatusID = tblDiscrepancy.DiscrepancyStatusID
    WHERE tblDiscrepancy.DiscrepancyPriority="Archive"
    ORDER BY DateStamp;
    I have a feeling you could use lookup/reference tables for other attributes as well.
    For example, Discrepancy priority.

It is confusing to the reader, and possibly highlights a problem with your terminology, when the same term "Archive" is used as a value of two or more fields/attributes. Here you use "archive" for DiscrepancyStatus and
    DiscrepancyPriority.

An interesting exercise for you would be to identify each table and each attribute with a 1 -2 line description.Doing so would help clarify what is a Status versus Priority. Readers do NOT know your environment and its jargon as well as you, so what may be obvious to you is less so to readers. Describing your terms (documenting your tables and attributes) often helps to focus your thinking and design. This is especially rue when working with multiple users and/or developers. The team has to be on the same page...

Also,in Access the form is the appropriate interface for all users. No one should be working directly with tables.
    Good luck with your project.

Quote Originally Posted by Bdenn View Post
    ... use a form to reference the other table.
    In a sense, yes. The combo control can behave like its own Query.

Bdenn is offline Novice
    Sorry about that.
    as you said the definition was a bit off. so obviously the code you provided did not work

The two table are:
    1. tblDiscrep
    A. DiscrepancyID
    B. DiscrepancySubject
    C. DiscrepancyType
    D. DiscrepancyStatus
    E. DateStamp
    F. DiscrepancyDiscription
    G. OffAir

2.tblDiscrepPriority
    A. PriorityID
    B. DiscrepancyPriority

*Keep In Mind
    I messed up labeling stuff here and DiscrepancyPriority & DiscrepancyStatus are the same thing so when I drop down the menu for DiscrepancyStatus it displays everything from DiscrepancyPriority.

I changed it up a bit but still not running yet.
    Code:
    SELECT tblDiscrep.DateStamp, tblDiscrep.DiscrepancyID, tblDiscrep.DiscrepancySubject, tblDiscrepPriority.DiscrepancyPriority, tblDiscrep.DiscrepancyStatus FROM tblDiscrepPriority  INNER JOIN tblDiscrep
    ON tblDiscrepPriority.DiscrepancyPriority = tblDiscrep.DiscrepancyID
    WHERE tblDiscrep.DiscrepancyPriority="Archive"
    ORDER BY DateStamp;
    So what am I messing up bad in that SQL?

June7 is offline VIP
    Do not work directly with tables and queries for data entry/edit - use form.

Do not build lookups that have alias in tables - build combo and list boxes on form.

What data is stored in DiscrepancyPriority - numeric key or literal descriptive text?

If you want to provide db for analysis, follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.