louise is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

ComboBox on Form asks again for the form's parameter

Hello,
    I have a form, based on an underlying query that prompts for two parameters ([Select A Semester] and [Select A Year].

Opening the form itself, of course, prompts for the same two fields.

I have put a combo box on that form, set to "find/display a record on the form." The combobox is based on two fields, an ID and a text field, neither one is one of the parameters. It works ok, but it prompts again for the same two fields.

Can you give me some direction on how to get the combobox to use the parameters of the form and not prompt again?

Thanks for any help!

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I am sorry that there is not a simple answer to your question. It sounds as thought the data your query is requesting is already in the DB. If you do not want the query to prompt the user for input, edit the query. Since the data is somewhere in the DB, create the appropriate Join to display the relative data for the user.

It is easier said than done. But the fundamentals of Relational Data Bases is to have your tables structured in a way that relationships allow the user to query and retrieve relative data.

louise is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    Hi,
    Thanks for your prompt response!
    Yes, the data is already in the data set. The Combo box (which displays "courses") is intended to simply find a course record on the form that fits the parameter criteria of the form itself (semester and year). So, data entry is not required at that point.

I am not sure how to edit the query to solve this.... And, if the combo box is not tied to the underlying query of the form, then it's course record choices will not be limited to the parameters of the form. (I tried this, and got all possible courses not just the ones for the relevant semester and year.)

Can you (or someone else) give me some further pointers?
    Thanks.

Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2003
    Perhaps you could post a copy of your db
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Your Query object has some SQL that requires parameters. Access has an option to request user input for Dynamic Parameters. If you open your query object using the Query Editor/Builder, you will see the fields available in the bottom of the Query Editor window. In the Criteria row, you will see the syntax that generates the input dialog. Look for the corresponding field name and the literal text "Select A..."

If you remove this syntax, the request for input will no longer appear. Now you get to create a form to collect the User's input and apply it to a filter or a query object.

A search form is not a small task. Another approach may be to use the Form's filter property.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.