Bruzer is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Newbie seeking input

Hoping for direction, I work for a non profit rehab centre and we are trying to create a data base to track clients. Contact info (name, age, address, ECT) - Family (children, married, next of kin) - substance abuse history (what was used, past treatment, clean date,) – Medical, Legal, emotional, physical, mental, spiritual information in the form of questions. All pertaining to a single client, so my question is one table or multiple tables? Please keep in mind that I am not a proficient Access programmer but am very motivated to learn and create a tool that will assist us in helping others!

abbeyainscal is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2002

Wow - see reply

Quote Originally Posted by Bruzer View Post
    Hoping for direction, I work for a non profit rehab centre and we are trying to create a data base to track clients. Contact info (name, age, address, ECT) - Family (children, married, next of kin) - substance abuse history (what was used, past treatment, clean date,) – Medical, Legal, emotional, physical, mental, spiritual information in the form of questions. All pertaining to a single client, so my question is one table or multiple tables? Please keep in mind that I am not a proficient Access programmer but am very motivated to learn and create a tool that will assist us in helping others!
    Ok, for the basic demographic info - you would make a table that contains that and make sure that it contains a unique key (Access will do it for you if you don't have one). But, sometimes, something like the last name and a number are fine too.

Ok, now, for the questions to the answers, well, you could link a separate table to that and make sure you link the 2 unique identifiers.

Lay out all your form questions on a piece of paper and then give each one of them a unique name that will be the field name. Then, decide a grouping - meaning, ok, the first table can be the basic demographic, the second table can be medical history, etc. But, try to break it in a way that makes sense and the same unique id or key that was used for your main table will also be used for each subsequent tables. So, you might have 3 tables. You probably could keep it all in one table but it would be super cumbersome. I think by breaking it down, you have it much more manageable and then, much easier for future reports and queries. Good luck, Linda

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.