smikkelsen is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 Access 2007

Access Database via internet

Hi, I have a database that is accessed by multiple users through a local network. This is working great so far, but I would like to (if relatively easy) set it up to somehow access via the internet.

I have tried reading up on it, but am finding only information for people who already know how to do this.

I have seen bits and pieces about sharepoint, i've also read about web pages that I can create in access much like a form. I read that you can use this even if you are not using sql server to store data. This sounded like the easiest (free-est) way. Can anyone tell me if I can in fact create pages in access that will connect to the database on our network?

Thanks!

srferby is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2003
    I am tring to have a database accessed by multiple users through a network. How did you do that? Thanks

Windows 7 Access 2007
    I just created the database like normal and put it on a shared network drive. Nothing else to it. (that I know of)

llkhoutx is offline Competent Performer
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    Put the backend (share tables) on the shared drive and the frontend (static tables, queries, forms, reports, macros & modules) on each user's PC. This is known as "splitting the database.")

Do not have multiple users simultaneously executing the frontend from a shared drive.

Windows 7 Access 2007
    I am aware of the ability to do that, but I have not yet done it. I don't know the pros/cons to doing it. would you be willing to give me a brief explanation of why it is the best method?

I can assume the performance is probably better, but i'm not sure, just a guess.

The one concern I have with doing that is I just barely rolled this database out for use, so I expect to find a few bugs, and also would like to continue adding some reports, etc. to it. If I were to continue working on the design of the database when it is split, how will that affect others? will everyone need to re-copy the database each time I change something?

Also, is it basically just like having the databases stored on each individuals computer, then when they open it, it just pulls data from the tables on the network?

Any info on that would be awesome. Also, is it possible to access the tables from out of network (internet) without using an sql server? That was my main question here. If by splitting the database I can accomplish that, I will not think twice about doing so.

Thanks!

llkhoutx is offline Competent Performer
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    Your assumptions are generally correct.

If you have a remote (thousands of miles away) back end, you'll experience a performance hit. A local front end will be very fast. Sometimes the former cannot be avoided.

Updating multiple front ends is not necessarily a brute force operation. Some updates are critical, other are not. (1) Exclusively open the back end to modify shared tables. (2) Notify users by email that they need to download a new front end. (3) Tag the front end and back end with a version numbers, which are compared on opening the front end. If the versions don't match, generate a message that the user needs to update his or her front end.

A web page can access (no pun intended) any data source (Access, Sql Server, MySql, etc.) available to the web page; that generally not an Access solution.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.