Sum fields to hide zero values

Hi,

I have a query that appears to be producing correct results albeit with a number of records being zero in total. I want to hide all records that are zero.

For instance:

Each record is made up of 35 fields - 27 of which are numeric fields- they can contain positive numbers, negative numbers and zero's (null values have been replaced with zero). When I report from this query I only want to display records which have an 'absolute' value when looking across all the numeric fields. Thus if I have a record with two fields, one containing -10 and another with 10 I want the record to display even though the total is zero (absolute total is 20).

To solve this I added the following expression to the query:

Displaycheck: Sum(Abs([jan2014])+Abs([feb2014])+Abs([mar2014])+Abs([apr2014])+Abs([may2014])+Abs([jun2014])+Abs([jul2014])+Abs([aug2014])+Abs([sep2014])+Abs([oct2014])+Abs([nov2014])+Abs([dec2014])+Abs([jan2015])+Abs([feb2015])+Abs([mar2015])+Abs([apr2015])+Abs([may2015])+Abs([jun2015])+Abs([jul2015])+Abs([aug2015])+Abs([sep2015])+Abs([oct2015])+Abs([nov2015])+Abs([dec2015])+Abs([2015Rev]))

However the results appear unpredictable - of the 3,200 resulting records - 1,100 records have a value in displaycheck, the rest are blank (null). When checking manually for the correct result only 864 actually meet the criteria of absolute zero above. It is clear that a number of records are showing null in displaycheck when they have values in the other numerical fields. Some of these are a sequence of negative numbers, others are a mix of positive and negative and others are a sequence of positive numbers.

Has anyone experienced this and resolved this issue in the past? I have checked through earlier posts as best I can and couldn't find an answer.

Thanks for your time in reading.

Regards,

John

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Adding a field with a value to a field with Null with result in Null. You probably want to wrap each field in the Nz() function to force it to be zero.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    NULL plus any number results in NULL, so it would appear there is at least one NULL in a field for many of the records. Without seeing the data it is hard to give a better answer.

-----------------------------
    The main problem I see is that you do not have a normalized table structure. You are "committing spreadsheet", a term that means the table is designed like a spreadsheet instead of a relational database. Spreadsheets are short and wide. Database tables are tall and narrow.

"jan2014", "feb2014", "mar2014" are data and shouldn't be field names. In a normalized table, there would be 2 or 3 fields: "MonthlyAmount" for the numeric data and "Amt_MthYr" with data "jan2014", "feb2014", etc (or two fields "Amt_Mth" and "Amt_Yr" ).

The problem with the current structure is when 2016 rolls around, you will have to redesign the whole dB: tables, queries, forms, reports and quite likely some VBA code.

Thanks for your reply Paul. The only field in the query that returns a null is the displaycheck expression. All other numerical fields in the query have already been converted to zero where the underlying table data could contain null.

Regards,

John

Thanks for your reply Steve. As mention in my reply to Paul, the only field that contains null is the result of the expression displaycheck.

The 35 fields I mentioned are a query result and not a table structure. It is the result of 12 tables being combined. As best I can, the database has been normalised, but from what you are saying I may have not normalised some of the underlying tables. I have multiple result tables (each consisting of many and varied account code and cost centre combinations) for each year that contain values for each month in the year - I need to report on historical years and months, but what I think you saying is that I should have one table with the numerical numbers each referenced by a month/year combination (and then account code and cost centre). That makes sense to me so I'll have a play and see what happens.

Really appreciate you and Paul taking the time to reply.

Regards,

John

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Can you post the db here, or a representative sample?
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Hi Paul,

I can't post the database because some of the data is sensitive. Attached here is the relationship structure of all tables. Hopefully it gives enough information of what I am trying to do.

Regards,

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Database relationship.jpg  

Windows XP Access 2000
    I don't know how much pain it would be now to change the structure, but anytime you see repeating fields in a table or multiple tables holding the same data, the tables probably are not normalized. How far to normalize table(s) is a balance between ease of entry and good design.

Looking at the relationships, I would look at having tables:

tActuals
    -------------------
    ActualID (PK)
    AccountNumber (FK) (Long)
    DeptIDNumber (FK) (Long)
    FullAccount (Text)
    Amount (Double)
    AmtMth (Integer) (example: 1, 2,.....)
    AmtYr (Integer) (2010, 2011, ....)

tBudgets
    --------------------
    BudgetID (PK)
    AccountNumber (FK) (Long)
    DeptIDNumber (FK) (Long)
    Amount (Double)
    AmtYr (Integer) (2010, 2011, ....)
    BudgetType (Text) (ex. : Proposed, Adopted, Revised, Amended, ....)

I would probably have BudgetType in another table, in case there might be another entry added in the future. "tBudgets.BudgetType" would then be a Long type.

tBudgetTypes
    ---------------
    BudgetTypes (PK) (Autonumber)
    budgetOptions (Text)

My $0.02..........(FWIW)

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your suggestions. Whilst it is of course a nuisance to have to restructure, it will also be fun, as to be honest, this is my first attempt at a database while reading the Access Bible (part way!). So playing with it again will help no end with my understanding. I half expected to be doing that anyway once I knew more. You have given me a lift up on learning. I thought I had done quite well with normalising, as pretty much everything in the original database I took over was listed in one table - as I think you mentioned before, much like a spreadsheet.

One question to help clarify for me - after I have made these changes how will achieve my original goal? - that of removing 'absolute zero's' across each record in the particular report (or underlying query).

I set up my queries initially to contain all records in tAccountCode and tDeptID (or tFullAccountList which gets the same result) to make sure I have all possible combinations and then add data from other tables where data exist. Thus I do need to subsequently "hide" or "filter" those records that are all zero - note also: reports may have a different combination of fields depending on the purpose.

Regards,

John

Windows XP Access 2000
    I thought I had done quite well with normalising
    Yes, pretty good for a first time. I look at some of my first dB attempts and cringe.

I would set the default value property for the Amount field to 0 (zero). When a new record is created, the Amount is automatically 0.

Realize that I know nothing about your dB, the purpose or the process.

One question to help clarify for me - after I have made these changes how will achieve my original goal? - that of removing 'absolute zero's' across each record in the particular report (or underlying query).
    If I understand the question correctly, lets say you want to sum all of the months amounts for the year of 2014. You would create a totals query.
    For example, see if this makes sense:
    Code:
    Displaycheck: SELECT Sum(Abs(Amount)) AS Displaycheck
    FROM tActuals
    WHERE (((tActuals.AmtMth) Between 1 And 12) AND ((tActuals.AmtYear)=2014))
    HAVING (((Sum(Abs(Amount)))<>0));

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.