Back2Basics is offline Novice
    Windows 2K Access 2003

Export .xlsx file to internet address

Hi

I am trying to save a file to a sharepoint folder (which has an internet address) so that other people can see the output of the file.

I haven't been able to save anything other than am XLM file but this just isn't useful for people when selecting the file, as it doesn't open up on Excel automatically.

Is there a way to save a .xlsx file directly to an internet address? Or to save a file that would automatically open up on Excel?

Using Access 2013

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    do you mean you haven't been able to save anything other than a .xml file? I've got excel 2013 and don't see any .xlm file type.

Is the sharepoint site on your local network or is it cloud/vpn based? I don't know much about sharepoint so can you explain how you would go about putting an excel file on the sharepoint site if you were doing it by hand? Perhaps you can export the excel file to a local directory then use filesystemobject commands to copy the file to the sharepoint site.

Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    Hi rpare

Normally, to save to the sharepoint you can either do it by uploading one document at a time or by using explorer view.

I am able to save in other formats, but it won't let me select an internet address for any file extension other than .xlm

it would be possible to save it somewhere else and then upload that to sharepoint, but it would be easier and less chance of it not getting done it I could do it all from here.

Perceptus is offline Expert
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Typically an Internet HTTP Address is a one way deal. The address doesn't specify the security of the information to save the file to.

Lets say I made Perceptus123.com

You couldn't Save to Perceptus123.com unless the Provider for the domain had established some sort of work on the backend to permit this. This could be done, but then how would you prevent anyone else in the world from also saving to this location. Some authentication would need to go down. Alternatively the provider could then map out Port 21 to Perceptus123.com so that you could save documents via ftp to the location with anonymous setup, but even this would require an FTP to be setup. If this was the case, you could probly then use Windows Explorer to view the FTP connection like you were actually saving to the website, but the URL would be, FTP://perceptus123.com or possibly back2basics@FTP://perceptus123.com.

This example seems a bit out of the range of what you simply want to do.

If you need to share documents over the net, you might try Drop Box.

Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    Hi Perceptus

Thanks for the message. This does sound complicated... The location I am trying to save to is on SharePoint. So only users with authentication would be able to access it. Does this change anything? or is it still quite complicate?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.