Robert2150 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Adding New record to Table

I have a DB that uses a form to maintain data on a Table. This form has a ComboBox that provides a drown list for locating a particular record.

I can't seem to add a new record to the table using the "New Record" in the Navigation Bar.

I get the Message Box that states "The text you entered isn't an item in the list."

Any Suggestions?

Thanks,

Robert2150

Rawb is offline Expert
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    That means that whatever has been entered into the Combo Box isn't one of it's items.

If you need to be able to enter new values into that Field, then I'd recommend using a Text Box or setting the "Limit to List" Property to No.

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert2150 View Post

...This form has a ComboBox that provides a drown list for locating a particular record...

...I can't seem to add a new record to the table using the "New Record" in the Navigation Bar...
    The error message you're getting and the problem (not being able to add a New Record) don't really appear to be related...but that's not uncommon, in Access!

Did you have occasion to add a Record, using the Form, before adding the Combobox to the Form?

Is the Form based on a single Table (or a single Table Query)...or is it based on multiple Tables?

A mistake frequently made, when using a Combobox to retrieve a Record, is Binding the Combobox to a Field in the underlying Table. In Design View, with the Combobox selected, go to Properties - Data and see if there is anything in the Control Source Property; if there is, carefully delete it.

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Robert2150 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I have not added a record using the form, I have added all current record by going directly to the table.
    The form is based on a single Table, and has a single Table Query related to the combo box. The Combobox is "Unbound".
    The form does have some sub-forms imbedded in it, and they are based on separate tables.
    Checking the ComboBox, there is not anything in the Control Source Property.
    Thanks for your reply.
    Last edited by Robert2150; 03-24-2015 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Left information out.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Do you still have the problem? If so, can you post a copy of the db (remove anything private first).

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.