aldgard is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Show specific combinationlist depending on choice in first combinationlist

Hi,

I'm a Firefighter in Sweden who happens to know a bit of programming. Therefore I got the assignment to create a functional and easy-to-use reporting system for our vehicles. In all I think I understand Microsoft Access wich they wanted me to build this system in. But since I'm more familiar to JavaScript and PHP I don't really get the programming bits in Visual Basic.

What I want is that the value choosed in a combinationbox(list) is going to be a "filter" to what is possible to choose in the next combinationbox(list).

Something like this.

if vehicle 2010 is choosed in list A then only stuff from 2010 is shown in the next list. And if vehicle 2020 is choosed then of course only stuff from that vehicle is shown.

Someone who want's to rescue a swedish rescue service?

/Tobias

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    generically it is called 'cascading' combo boxes - fairly common question - you'll find a lot of Q&A on the topic. Whether it be a List Box or Combo Box - they are essentially sourced on a query - which is accessible in it's property....for the 2nd box you want to modify that query manually to include the criteria of the first box...

then you need to trigger a requery of box 2 in the AfterUpdate Event of box 1: [Box2Name].requery

aldgard is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Thanks NTC, Didn't know it was called cascading, so will be looking closely in Q&A to find some more usefull hints.

But a huge thank you to you for that push in right direction.

/Pelle

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.