mduplantis is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 8 Access 2013

Question Migrating a whole lot of Word Forms into an Access Database

Hello,

Just looking for a few good ideas or suggestions. We currently use a lot of Word forms, that I am looking to migrate into an Access database. I am not so much worried about creating code to bring all of them in at once, but I am wondering how I would organize and if I can effectively manage.

My first thought is to create a main form with tabs to break down into main categories. I then could create buttons for each new form.

Has anyone created a project like this before? Any suggestions on preplanning or "gotcha" points, it greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Brent

PS. I have looked at Joomla plugin's as an alternative to Access.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    By migrate, do you mean embed Word documents in an Attachment field?

Access has a 2GB size limit. Embedding a lot of large files can use that up fast.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    No, I'm sorry, I don't mean embedding a word document. I meant to say, I would create tables and forms to match the current word documents in an effort to go paperless. Some are small, but my biggest one will be creating a form to handle daily vehicle checks of fire department assets (fire trucks, medic units, etc).

Thanks

nicko14 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    You can do what you are looking to do with a Navigation Form, on a horizontal tabs, 2 level.

First you need to make your table(s), then the forms for each one.

Then create the navigation form, and then you simply drag the forms onto the tabs in any order you'd like. When the first level tab is selected it shows the second level tabs unique to the selected tab above, and so on for the second tab, third, etc.

As for buttons, you can do what you are looking to do as well. You can make a blank form and add command buttons. The rectangle box with the xxxx's when design tab is selected. The wizard can guide you through what you want that button to do (open new form, record form, etc).

My suggestion is to plan and design first on OneNote or paper, then create the tables and forms and try to replicate your design instead of trying to do it on the go.

Windows 8 Access 2013

Thanks

Fantastic. I'll give it a shot. Thank you!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.