dyankov.savin is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Require help splitting/linking tables

Hello guys,
    I am facing the following situation. I must create a database with information regarding clients. This information is contained in 72 columns, which is heavy, really heavy. Therefore I have split those 72 columns into 6 “panels” based on relevance and position in the workflow. My idea is the following:
    To have a main table in the database containing all columns, and 6 sub tables containing each panel + the essential client information, example:
    Info Panel 1 contains most of the generic information which I get for a client, meaning that it will be filled with a query or something into the main database.
    Second table should be consisted of part of the information from Panel 1 and all information Panel 2 (as presented in the attached spreadsheet), etc for all the other Panels.
    What I expect to achieve is a two-way correspondence between those tables. Once I get a new client and input all the available data in Panel 1, it will appear in all other sub tables (Panel 2, 3 etc.) and once I fill the info into those sub tables it will go back to the original database table.

Could you please share some ideas, about relationships or queries which may help me achieve this.

Ps: The sub tables will most likely have to be linked and shared on a server to be filled by staff.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
    Savin
    Attached Files Attached Files

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Since there isn't any data in the spreadsheet, hard to understand what you are describing.

If these tables all have a 1-to-1 relationship, there is little benefit to splitting into separate tables. Use form for data entry and a tab control on form to organize the fields into 'panels'.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Since there isn't any data in the spreadsheet, hard to understand what you are describing.

If these tables all have a 1-to-1 relationship, there is little benefit to splitting into separate tables. Use form for data entry and a tab control on form to organize the fields into 'panels'.
    Hi,
    I've uploaded it again with some details about what the information will be.
    As you can see all panels include different types of data, from a different part of the workflow, which will be inputted by different people. I want to split the main table into those 6 panels to make it lighter for use. No need for a person who has to input data only for the notification of the clients to see details about everything else, and since the table will contain approx.. 10k rows, if you to open all 70 columns for those 10k rows, it will be a nightmare.
    That is why I want to have the main table in the background and 5 input tables, which at the same time, take the primary info from the main table and are inputting information.

I hope this gives you a better view of what I want to achieve.

Any ideas will be highly appreciated.

Regards,
    Savin
    Attached Files Attached Files

June7 is online now VIP
    Users should not work directly with tables and queries, only forms and reports. Therefore, 1 table can serve and forms can compartmentalize the data entry.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Can you emphasize abit on that? How am I ot visualize the information for them and how will they be able to input data?
    Sorry if my questions seem a bit dumb .

June7 is online now VIP
    Forms can be bound to tables. Controls on forms bound to fields. Input to controls pass directly to record in table. Basic Access functionality. http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.