Gath is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Data Type Mismatch in Criteria Expression

Hi, I have a field where numbers are stored as text. I created another field where I converted text to numbers using the Val function. However, when I try to perform math functions on this new field (e.g. greater than, equal to, etc.), I get this message "Data Type Mismatch in Criteria Expression". Why?

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Can you post the SQL code of your query?

Gath is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Sure, it's"

SELECT WellConstrSummary.[Location Desc], WellConstrSummary.[Location ID], [Well-SampleID_CrossWalk].[QA/QC], UnionAll_LDC.ANALYTE, UnionAll_LDC.ANALYTE_VALUE, UnionAll_LDC.FINAL_QUALIFIER, Val([ANALYTE_VALUE]) AS Expr1
    FROM ((UnionAll_LDC INNER JOIN [Well-SampleID_CrossWalk] ON UnionAll_LDC.SAMPLE_NAME = [Well-SampleID_CrossWalk].SampleID) INNER JOIN [AnalyteMethod-Group_CrossWalk] ON UnionAll_LDC.ANALYTICAL_METHOD = [AnalyteMethod-Group_CrossWalk].ANALYTICAL_METHOD) INNER JOIN WellConstrSummary ON [Well-SampleID_CrossWalk].[Well ID] = WellConstrSummary.[Well ID]
    WHERE (((WellConstrSummary.[Location Desc]) Like "*First Sand*") AND (([Well-SampleID_CrossWalk].[QA/QC])="Duplicate" Or ([Well-SampleID_CrossWalk].[QA/QC])="ms/msd" Or ([Well-SampleID_CrossWalk].[QA/QC]) Is Null) AND ((UnionAll_LDC.ANALYTE)="vinyl chloride") AND ((Val([ANALYTE_VALUE]))>5) AND ((UnionAll_LDC.REPORTABLE_RESULT)="y"));

lfpm062010 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Did you create the field in a table or in a query?

If it is in a table, what's the data type of the new field? Text or Number???

If it is in a query, can you post the SQL?

Gath is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    I created the field in a query. How should I post the SQL? You mean the SQL code posted above?

lfpm062010 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Yes, timing is everything.

I don't have the structure to test. But this might be your problem.

SELECT WellConstrSummary.[Location Desc], WellConstrSummary.[Location ID], [Well-SampleID_CrossWalk].[QA/QC], UnionAll_LDC.ANALYTE, UnionAll_LDC.ANALYTE_VALUE, UnionAll_LDC.FINAL_QUALIFIER, Val(UnionAll_LDC.ANALYTE_VALUE) AS Expr1
    FROM ((UnionAll_LDC INNER JOIN [Well-SampleID_CrossWalk] ON UnionAll_LDC.SAMPLE_NAME = [Well-SampleID_CrossWalk].SampleID) INNER JOIN [AnalyteMethod-Group_CrossWalk] ON UnionAll_LDC.ANALYTICAL_METHOD = [AnalyteMethod-Group_CrossWalk].ANALYTICAL_METHOD) INNER JOIN WellConstrSummary ON [Well-SampleID_CrossWalk].[Well ID] = WellConstrSummary.[Well ID]
    WHERE (((WellConstrSummary.[Location Desc]) Like "*First Sand*") AND (([Well-SampleID_CrossWalk].[QA/QC])="Duplicate" Or ([Well-SampleID_CrossWalk].[QA/QC])="ms/msd" Or ([Well-SampleID_CrossWalk].[QA/QC]) Is Null) AND ((UnionAll_LDC.ANALYTE)="vinyl chloride") AND ((Val(UnionAll_LDC.ANALYTE_VALUE)))>5) AND ((UnionAll_LDC.REPORTABLE_RESULT)="y"));

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.