B30 is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007

Can't Edit forms in Split db

I am a beginner to Access so I am sure the solution is simple. I have been creating a db, I have split it and saved it to our company's server. We were getting ready to distribute it and start using it when I noticed something on one of the forms that i wanted to change. When I go into the fe to make the revision, it will only open as "read only". I can save a copy to my desktop and make the changes that i want, but then i cant save this copy back to the server because it wont let me over-write a file that is read only. What am I doing wrong?

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    It's one of two possibilities -

First, the network location where the FE is located does not allow file changes, i.e. the location is read-only. (From your description, that is probably the problem)

Second, another user has the FE already open, which prevents changes being made.

Users should have copies of the FE on their own PC's; having multiple users in the same FE file on the network is almost guanteed to cause problems eventually.

B30 is offline Novice
    John_G, I will double check with our IT support with regards to the setting on the location, but I did discuss that with them before and they told me that was not the issue. As for your second suggestion, I am the only one using the db right now because I am still only testing it before it is put into use. Although I did send it to 2 other people for them to test it. I know they did not have it open at the time I was trying to open it, but is it possible that just by them having a copy it would restrict what I am doing? Thanks for your help.

John_G is offline VIP
    To test the network file permissions issue, do a little experimenting.

Copy a small file (MS Word will do) to the same directory where you have the database.

Try to open, modify and save that file with MS Word - does it work?

Then try to delete the file - does it work?

If you able to do all of that testing with no problems, then we'll have to see what else might be causing the problem.

B30 is offline Novice
    I tried this and did not have any problems creating, saving, editing, and deleting a test word file from the same fold that the db is saved in. Since I am able to save a copy to my desktop, should I save a copy and then delete the original and them move the saved copy back into the original folder? will this cause any problems with the link to the b/e? Of course I dont know if I am able to delete the original since I only have permission to read only.

John_G is offline VIP
    Did you check the Read-only setting for the .mdb file itself?

Right-click the file name, select "properties" from the menu, and click the "General" tab.

The read-only setting is a check-box at the bottom if the dialog. Clear it if it is checked.

This property will often be set if the file was saved to, then copied from a CD or DVD.

B30 is offline Novice
    everything looks fine with the properties.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.