FloydPalmer is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007

Microsoft Access 2007 help!

So after a work colleague left, I'm just starting to get used to using MA that she so expertly put together before she left.

Having used this facility to try and get up to speed on its workings (not been through all of them admittedly), just slightly struggling as she has set up pre-existing tables, reports and I'm trying to learn about the database and maintain the work she has done on the software.

First issue:
    For example, she has created a table with around 300 entries with different column headings. Underneath there seem to be seperate sub heading of tables, which includes entries from the first table but specified to different headings. These latter tables have reports produced for them. My question is, if I input information on the first table, will that data transfer automatically to the other tables she has created below? I keep checking thinking "Oh, maybe that information hasn't transferred to other tables?"

Also, using design query and getting reports from a specific month for example (been advised that, to get February's report, you have to input the previous month's so for example, >01/01/2015 and < 31/01/2015), we can edit which headings we want included in reports but again, I think tried to do this (i.e. include different headings) but it messed up the report with the Parameter value pop coming up. So just reversed what I'd done.

Any advice on how to use different columns to get reports for them specifically but when I tried to do it, like I said above, think it caused a problem!

Any online guides besides the one above to aid understanding would be helpful. May try to use this software for brownie points at work as it does seem useful.

Thanks!

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    You seem to describe a datasheet/subdatasheet or form/subform arrangement. No, data will not automatically 'transfer' and should not.

If you want to provide db for analysis, follow instructions at bottom of my post.

There are many online-tutorials, however, I recommend you get an introductory book and go through it cover-to-cover before attempting db design.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

FloydPalmer is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    You seem to describe a datasheet/subdatasheet or form/subform arrangement. No, data will not automatically 'transfer' and should not.

If you want to provide db for analysis, follow instructions at bottom of my post.

There are many online-tutorials, however, I recommend you get an introductory book and go through it cover-to-cover before attempting db design.
    Thanks for your reply June.

Do you have a direct link to the DB reports? Not sure which one it is on the link in your sig.

I'm trying atm, to use that online tutorial which I find helpful but not really had time to go through it in depth as it's difficult to do at work whilst you're trying to use it.

In one of the subforms, I try to go into Design View and it says Enter Parameter Value. The ID Identifier is labelled as the main datasheet but not sure what the problem could be in the main datasheet that's causing one of the subforms not to enter into design view? If I enter a category, say number 7, then it'll bring up everything relating to number 7 but not everything?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Direct link to DB reports - what does this mean? Instructions in my signature on attaching file to post.

Why would design view 'bring up' anything? Do you mean Layout view? I never use it.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.