topspin2 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2000

HELP NEEDED! Moving the Ms Access database to a new PC

Hello,

I currently have a database to keep track of customers. The front end uses VB (where I enter the data, add users...) and the back end uses Ms Access 2000. It was installed on Windows 7 Professional 32 bit. My new PC is running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. Here is what I did:

I used the installation CD (the programmer gave when the database was created) to install on a new PC. I then copy the whole database folder and paste it in program files on the new PC (the exact location where it was in the old PC). After that, I got into ODBC on the new PC to install the Ms Access driver for it.

The problem are lots of data as well as some of the queries are missing on a new PC after I did all that. I did this process once before from PC to PC and it worked the way I did, but it's not working now. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Do you have a full version of Access installed or are you using the runtime components (meaning you can only use the database, you can't modify the design)?
    What is the exact name of the file you are using is it .accdb or .mdb or is it .accde or .mde?
    Is the database split into front end and back end? (front end is the user interface components, back end is just the tables)?
    Copying a file should not delete objects within the file itself. What do you mean they are 'missing' they do not appear in the object window?
    When you try to access them (button clicks, etc) it gives you an error? what?
    Are you sure you're copying the correct database, if you are copying an older version it would account for missing objects.
    You should not need an odbc driver install if you are using a full version of Access.

Do you have a full version of Access installed or are you using the runtime components (meaning you can only use the database, you can't modify the design)?

Yes, a full version of Access installed

What is the exact name of the file you are using is it .accdb or .mdb or is it .accde or .mde?

mdb

Is the database split into front end and back end? (front end is the user interface components, back end is just the tables)?

I am not sure. I just know that the front end uses VB and back end uses Ms Access. I can create queries, add table...in the back end.

Copying a file should not delete objects within the file itself. What do you mean they are 'missing' they do not appear in the object window?

IE: there are 10 queries in the back end on the old PC and after copying to a new PC, there are only 6 existed. All the tables are there, but some data are missing. EI: on the old PC, there are 50 customers in one of those tables but there are only 35 displayed on the new PC in that exact table after copying.

When you try to access them (button clicks, etc) it gives you an error? what?
    Are you sure you're copying the correct database, if you are copying an older version it would account for missing objects.
    You should not need an odbc driver install if you are using a full version of Access.

It does not give me an error. But, when I enter a name of a customer to search for his or her info. It just does not return any even though that name was and is still in the table on the old PC (in which I copied to a new PC). It just does not return a search on a new PC. I wish I could explain a little better but I am not very familiar with it.

PS: on my old PC, the database file is listed in "C:\Program Files". On a new PC, it displays "C:\Program Files" and also "C:\Program Files (x86). I have tried to place the database folder in both of them, but neither worked. I have also noticed that all the missing the data and queries on a new PC are those that I entered and created after 2010 (but I copied the whole folder to a new PC).

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    it sounds like you are not copying the correct file, do you still have access to the 'old' computer?
    If you do, check the shortcut you were using to access the database, check the properties and then go to the source file to make sure it has all the data you expect.
    If it does, copy that source file.

Quote Originally Posted by rpeare View Post
    it sounds like you are not copying the correct file, do you still have access to the 'old' computer?
    If you do, check the shortcut you were using to access the database, check the properties and then go to the source file to make sure it has all the data you expect.
    If it does, copy that source file.

All of these files are located in the LSS folder. I have tried to copy ALL and also just tried alone the "LSSFINAL" but neither worked. All data after 2010 are not there for some reason. I went back to my old PC and all data are there. Please see the attachment. That is what it looks like in the LSS folder.
    Attached Files Attached Files

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    on your ORIGINAL computer, when you open the LSSFINAL database (which I'm assuming contains only tables and some queries) does it contain all the data you expect?

Yes, when i open Lssfinal on the original pc, everything is there. All data are there . I still have the database on the original pc. Lssfinal only contains tables and queries.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    So copy the LSSFINAL database to the new computer (for the time being do not put it in the same directory as everything else you copied).

When you open it after copying it to the new computer in a new location, does it still have all the data and queries you expect?

If not, create a new database in your copied folder name it LSSFINALTEMP, open the database and import all the objects from the copy on the OLD computer and then look at the data/queries and see if that gives you want you need.

So copy the LSSFINAL database to the new computer (for the time being do not put it in the same directory as everything else you copied).

When you open it after copying it to the new computer in a new location, does it still have all the data and queries you expect?

If not, create a new database in your copied folder name it LSSFINALTEMP, open the database and import all the objects from the copy on the OLD computer and then look at the data/queries and see if that gives you want you need.
    I copied the LSSFINAL database to a new computer in a different directory like you said but it still does not have all the data and queries as it should either.

I have also tried to create a new database and did the import process but it does not work either.

Somehow, all customers that were entered into the database after 2010 are not there on a new pc but all data and queries are still there on the original pc.

I am not sure why. The database folder on my original pc has 21.5mb size with all data and queries. But when I copied that exact folder and placed it on a new pc, it does not have all the data and queries but it shows in properties that it contains also 21.5mb size. I have done the copying process more than a dozen times just to make sure that I did not miss anything, but it still does not work.

I am clueless and getting so frustrated. BTW, I really appreciate for helping me on this.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Without being able to see it I'm at a loss, have you tried copying it to a network location rather than to a local PC?

When you did the import process were you able to see all the queries? you said before that some of the queries were missing.

Another thing you might try is to create a blank database on the target PC (or on the network) and open it up, also have the database that has the correct information in it on the OLD pc open at the same time (if they're networked or linked) and copy the individual tables via ctrl-c/ctrl-v when prompted choose the option that copies design and data.

Without being able to see it I'm at a loss, have you tried copying it to a network location rather than to a local PC?

When you did the import process were you able to see all the queries? you said before that some of the queries were missing.

Another thing you might try is to create a blank database on the target PC (or on the network) and open it up, also have the database that has the correct information in it on the OLD pc open at the same time (if they're networked or linked) and copy the individual tables via ctrl-c/ctrl-v when prompted choose the option that copies design and data.
    I have also tried to copy the whole database to a different location on the exact same old pc, the data is still missing. So, I have no idea where else it could be. I'm just totally lost.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    topspin I am sending you a PM because this is bugging me and I want to help you solve it I just don't know how much further we can go on this thread.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.