arges86 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Failure to Create file

I've created my first Access database.

Its a table that's linked to an excel document (that is saved on a networked drive), one simple form and a query.

Every morning when I open the database, and double click on the table, or try to use the search form I get an error message "Failure to Create file."
    I go to the 'Linked Table Manager and the file is there. If i check the box the the left and click ok, i get the same 'Failure to Create File' message.

What I have found is, if I check the 'Always prompt for a new location' box, then press OK, type in the network path for the file I'll get an 'Invalid internet address' error.
    After this, the linked table will refresh with no issues when I check the box in the Linked Table Manager and press OK.

This occurs every morning, and on each of my co-workers PCs as well.

Does anyone know why its doing this?

Thank you for your time

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    you shouldn't be getting a file creation error if you're just using a linked table is there any code or any macros working on the form? if so what are they doing? How is the file you're linked to created? is it deleted every day then overwritten? is it updated as time goes along? Is there ever a point at which the file does not exist on the network? Is the file stored on the local network or are you doing it through a remote access method (VPN etc)?

I have no Macros or VB script on the form (haven't figured out how to do that yet), its just a simple search form that filters the table.
    The excel file that I link to is on a SharePoint site, and the person who updates that deletes the old one and uploads the new one every couple of days when the records are updated.
    I get this error even if the file hasn't been edited between computer restarts.
    the file is stored on the local network, no VPN involved... its just a very long network path.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Try to refresh the link when you open or load the form (ON OPEN or ON LOAD event of the form)

Code:
    Dim db As Database
    Dim tdf As TableDef

Set db = CurrentDb
    For Each tdf In db.TableDefs
        If Left(tdf.Connect, 5) = "Excel" Then
            tdf.RefreshLink
        End If
    Next tdf
    Set db = Nothing

I tried that, but it was still having trouble refreshing the file...

It must have been the location on the network where I was pulling the file that was causing issues.

I made an IFTTT Recipe that copies the excel file it to another network folder (one that's on a server in my building as opposed to one half way across the country) and it seems to work just fine.
    It runs slower than a non-linked native table... but I guess that's to be expected.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.