robs23 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Struggling to get Gantt chart on Form or report

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to create a Gantt chart view to a database I made to keep track of projects in our company. My goal is to make something like this Guy did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ROcHYyl1yw . I started with drawing the calendar you see in the right part of the screen in that video. I decided to create it on the fly with VBA on a subform. There's 1 problem (at least for now there's 1): form/report can only have width of about 22 inches. This allow me only to have about 60 days schedule to view (assuming I've given about 0,7 inch for a single-day cell). This is way too little. Moreover, that guy in that video worked it around somehow - he has at least 1-year schedule view in the subform. How did he manage to achieve that?
    I thought the only way was to make cells way smaller, let's say 0,1 inch, and then zoom the subform in somehow on the runtime. I discovered, though, that you can't really zoom forms. I changed form for report, because you can display it in preview mode, which allows zooming. This works, but report in preview mode is just very clumsy solution, it doesn't suit my needs. There's got to be better solution! Is there any activeX control that guy used instead of subform?

Robert

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    There was a discussion a while ago in UA. This is a link I found.

Thanks Mate. That example is cool and free but I'd really like to go for something more like the video. It's just so much easier to browse schedule when you can pan around and zoom in/zoom out. There's just a bunch of problems I need to resolve first.. Still looking for help, though. If anything comes to your mind, don't forget to share it here.

Robert

Windows XP Access 2003
    If you find anything that deals with a Gantt chart in Access that meets you needs, you should post a copy/links for others. It is often requested, but there are few good examples. There are and have been several commercial packages that support project management with work breakdown, resource estimates and utilization as well as PERT and Gantt charts. MSProject can do it, but it is more comprehensive than most people need.

I used to use a product called Timeline years back and it was great --could interface with Access and dBase3-- but I can't find any references to it now. Probably bought out by someone.

I'm sure I saw a post in one of the forums by the author of the video in the last 4-6 months...can't find anything now??

You could try contacting him.
    He does say in his comments:
    Please write to me an e-mail (wojtasz.aleksander@gmail.com), maybe I can help you in some way

I did contact him. He sent me a demo version of this file with vba editor protected with password. I responded I'm trying to achieve something similar but got stuck at form's maximum width and asked for a tip how he had worked that around. I hope he will answer. If there's any solution I come across, I'll definitely put it here.

Robert

Windows XP Access 2003

ayilmaz70tr is offline Novice
    Hello,

did you succeeded about this issue?

Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    It is my understanding that the maximum width of an Access report is 22 inches.

As far as whether robs23 found any more info --I have no idea and he hasn't posted anything.

Just my opinion, you can integrate outlook with access quite well. We use the calendar here for scheduling and jobs are allocated via email. If that's a route you want to take Id recommend it.

Hi,

No, I did not accomplish this as I had been moved to other task.. I got in contact with the developer back then and he was so kind to explain briefly how it works. He used a Stephen Lebans's image control to achieve this. Everything you can see in the video in first post is being drawn in image control on the fly. I was astounded by how fast it works. You can download Lebans's custom class from here to play with.

Robert

thanks for the replies. I checked leban's imageclass, it is too beyond of my knowledge.

Hi Robert,

could you send me aleksander's demo files if you still have them somewhere? I sent him messages for several times, but no answer yet. my email is ayilmaz70tr@yahoo.com.
    thank you in advance.

Well, I don't feel comfortable disposing effects of other man's work. However, as it's only demo, I'll send it to you. Don't get your hopes up too much though, I've just tested it after 1,5 a year from last opening and there are errors at startup and eventually the Gantt form doesn't work. I guess you'll have to get in contact with the author anyway.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.