Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bschmale is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Join expression not supported

Hello all,

I have 5 different tables that are all linked with foreign keys. When I made my fifth table and linked it to my primary key like I had with the other tables I got the Join expression not supported error.

In searching this error online it got complicated real quick. Everyone lists vba code when discussing this issue but I can't seem to find that code. Again very new to access and I appreciate the help!

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Where are you getting the error - in a query, in VBA that you are writing, or in the relationships screen?

In either case, please post the SQL that is causing the problem, or a screenshot of the Relationships diagram.

Either your structure is not right, or you didn't describe it accurately - it's hard to tell without seeing it.

Quote Originally Posted by John_G View Post
    Where are you getting the error - in a query, in VBA that you are writing, or in the relationships screen?

In either case, please post the SQL that is causing the problem, or a screenshot of the Relationships diagram.

Either your structure is not right, or you didn't describe it accurately - it's hard to tell without seeing it.
    I am getting this error when opening a form. I believe it is something I am doing with my relationships. I went from having a ton of repeating data in two tables to five tables with little understanding of relationships. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	19592

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Your tables don't appear to be normalized. Many of your tables do not have Primary Keys.

It might be helpful to readers if you could describe WHAT your database is about in plain English -- no jargon, no Access.

The goal of this database is to have a form that provides a snapshot of a publicly traded company. This form will have a financial summary, operational/production summary, areas of focus as well as general comment and notes fields.

CapExProductionAnnual is not normalized. I changed it back to this format so that on the form I could have a CapEx12 CapEx13 etc listed on the form in a list.

I was under the impression that a primary key was only used in one table and then the rest of the tables have foreign keys that draw back to the primary key. This is why each table has an Id field that links to the customerinformation table.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Are those ID fields regular number (long) type? They cannot be autonumber.

Primary key in these related tables is not an issue because they do not have related dependent tables.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    What is data type of your ID fields?

FK refers to the PK value in the associated table. But table with FK can have a PK of its own for records in that table.
    Code:
    Customer                             Order
    CustID PK                              OrderID  PK
    CustFirstName                        CustId  FK points to Customer 
    CustLastName                         OrderDate

All of my ID fields (except CompanyID in customer Information) are long numbers. Do I need to have a primary key in the tables with foreign key? All of the ID fields refer to a small list of companies.

NormalizationAttempt - Copy.zip
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Did you see my post #6?

If you want to provide db for analysis, follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    Attached is my database. Any suggestions in general or help you guys can provide on the join expression not supported error would be great.

June7 is online now VIP
    A form can enter/edit data for only one table. The form RecordSource should not include all 5 tables. Build form/subforms arrangement.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Ok, thanks June. So if I need the form to display all of this data should I have sub forms (which will have to be a whole new avenue of learning) or put all of the data back into two tables? The form needs to have all of this information or it defeats the purpose which is having a quick summary of a company.

June7 is online now VIP
    To allow data entry/edit use form/subforms.

The CapExProductionAnnual table is still not a normalized structure.

What is the relationship type for each table? Can the 4 related tables have multiple records associated with same record in CustomerInformation - 1-to-many?

If you do want to view all 5 tables in same query, must be LEFT JOIN which is the opposite of what is set in Relationships builder:

SELECT CustomerInformation.CompanyID, CustomerInformation.CompanyName
    FROM (((CustomerInformation LEFT JOIN CapExProductionAnnual ON CustomerInformation.CompanyID = CapExProductionAnnual.ID) LEFT JOIN CustomerDisposal ON CustomerInformation.CompanyID = CustomerDisposal.ID) LEFT JOIN CustomerFinancials ON CustomerInformation.CompanyID = CustomerFinancials.ID) LEFT JOIN PriorityAreas ON CustomerInformation.CompanyID = PriorityAreas.ID;

Ok, I will start doing my research about subforms.

After we talked and I started normalizing I had cap ex normalized like this:
    ID Period CapEx Production
    1 2012 100 101
    1 2013 200 201
    1 2014 300 301
    2 2012 400 401
    2 2013 500 501
    2 2014 600 601
    etc etc

The issue I had with this, is on my form under financial summary I wanted to list the capex for the previous years. When I tried to enter the "period" into the form it would only display one of those. My admittedly very limited access logic told me to put them all back to non normalized structure so that I could manipulate it how I wanted.

This join expression not supported error is keeping me from doing much with my forms. Now that I know that a form can only edit data for one table, maybe this is part of the issue.

It would be nice if I can figure this out because I don't think starting over for a third time will actually solve any of my problems.

CustomerDisposal and Priority Areas both have multiple entries for each ID.

June7 is online now VIP
    You may have read my previous post before I edited. Might look at again.

You should now be able to normalize the table.

https://support.office.com/en-US/Art...rs=en-US&ad=US

If CustomerFinancials will have only one record for each CustomerID and there will always be a record for each CustomerID, could just merge the two tables.

Did you see my post #6?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.