IncidentalProgrammer is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2007

Making a search form from multiple tables, where one table may not have a record yet.

Good morning, all!

I can't seem to make this work. I've made several search forms for my database, but one in particular is giving me trouble. The form in question is meant to pull expiring insurance policies from the database so that we can access and work them. The main two tables at work here are the policy table, which houses the information about the policy, and a renewal tracking table, which stores data about the renewal process (premium/loss data pulled through a renewal processing form, actions suggested and taken, notes, etc). Where the problem arises is that this search form is the means by which users will access the renewal processing form TO set the renewal into motion, so at first, there is no record on the renewal tracking table. When I make the search form, it will only pull one of my sample policies: the one that also has a renewal record on it. The intention was to have it pull ALL policies, and simply have blank renewal processing fields until a user works the renewal. Is there any way to accomplish this?

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Your post isn't entirely clear; but it seems to me that if your renewal form was inset as a sub form to the policy form - then when selecting an expiring policy the normal behavior of a sub form will be to call all linked records and presuming there is none then it will have a blank record ready for data input - - which sounds like what you seek.

IncidentalProgrammer is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Thanks, NTC!

I'm not using the renewal form as a sub form, though; there's a lot of data, and it's HUGE. There is one form for year-round policy viewing and maintenance, and another specifically for processing renewals.

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    Presumably the policy at least has the possibility of being renewed more than once, and so the 'renewal form' should be a Subform of the main, 'policy form,' which is what NTC was suggesting.

The statement "...there's a lot of data, and it's HUGE...' is cause for concern, because a single Table with more than 25-30 Fields usually signifies a Database that is non-normalized.

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.