rojouz is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2003

Does searching have to be this way?

UPDATE: Thanks for the responses so far. I wrote the steps from memory and from what seemed to make sense, but today after frequent usage of accessing the info from access (I'm new and was rarely using it and mostly observing, but today I had to use it a lot), I see that the process makes even less sense and is much more of a nuisance.

So, before I state the issue, I have a feeling the answer is no (which is good), and that the solution would require a redesign (which I don't think will be done). I would be happy to be wrong on this.

I haven't used Access before, which is why I ask the question. At my job we have a catalog in Microsoft Access of the products that the company sells. On the page where the database is opened up, it has a two column layout. So, on the left are fields like sku, price, etc. and on the right are the corresponding details for those fields. The only way that we search for an item is via the sku number. The process to do this is however very annoying. So, once we are on the two column page, it goes something like this:

REVISED STEPS:

1) Click on the funnel icon. This is the very first thing that must be done after opening the file. I see the tooltip for the funnel reads Apply Filter. After doing this, all the fields are now populated with info.

2) Right click on the sku details field (so, the field on the right), and Choose filter and type in the box the sku number.

Now, instead of repeating steps 1 and 2 to search for another sku, we must

3) Click on a funnel icon (This removes the filter).

4) Now repeat Step 2.

The only time that we must click on the funnel to Apply a Filter is when the file is first opened. After that, we must remove the filter (which seems to get applied every time we do a search via right click > filter > type sku number on the sku field.

The issue is that often after doing steps 1 and 2 or 2 only, we leave the program open and go on to something else. When we return to it, we have to do Step 3: Click on the funnel icon. We however often times forget to do this step and just do Step 2 (or mistakenly Steps 1 and 2), which returns no results--all the fields are blank.

Why can't we just type the sku number somewhere the way one does in Windows or in any search engine and have the results appear, instead of having to do the click on funnel icon then right click > filter method?

The version being used is Microsoft Access 2003 and it's on a Windows 7 computer.
    Last edited by rojouz; 01-21-2015 at 07:57 PM. Reason: New Instructions.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

NTC is offline VIP
    make your form have a header, if it doesn't already, and then in that header add a combobox control - during that set up the wizard will offer you choices and use the bottom choice to select record.....

usually this is used in a single form design, not a continuous form design as you have - - but I believe even in a continuous form if you enter a sku (you don't have to use the drop down feature of the combobox) that when press enter or tab - the continuous form will jump to the record corresponding to the sku.....

June7 is offline VIP
    I forgot to mention 'filter by form' option because I've never used it.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.