Siiig is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Post Moving row data into multiple columns

Hey AccessForums,

Currently trying to come up with a way to break data that looks like this...

Item Finish
    100 Black
    100 White
    200 Red
    300 Black
    300 White
    300 Red

And create a query to return this...

Item Finish1 Finish2 Finish3
    100 Black White
    200 Red
    300 Black White Red

The main problem I seem to be facing is that I don't have a Key field or ID field of any sort. Running a "Count" against "Item" only returns exactly how many there are, and without a keyfield I can't seem to come up with any way to select the data based on the count of "Item". I have a VBA script that does something similar--in that it concatenates the "Finishes" into one column (i.e. Black/White/Red), but that's not suitable for my end result.

Anyone able to point me in the right direction? One of the biggest challenges with researching access related things like this is I have no idea what to search. Very frustrating because I would rather help myself than bug you guys if I can help it.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Denormalizing data can be a challenge.

Review

http://forums.aspfree.com/microsoft-...ry-322123.html

http://www.datapigtechnologies.com/f.../crosstab.html

Another approach requires a unique record identifier. An autonumber type field will serve. Can easily add the field.

Query1
    SELECT Table1.ID, Table1.Item, Table1.Finish, DCount("*","Table1","Item=" & [item] & " AND ID<" & [ID])+1 AS Seq FROM Table1;

Query2
    TRANSFORM Max(Query1.Finish) AS MaxOfFinish
    SELECT Query1.Item
    FROM Query1
    GROUP BY Query1.Item
    PIVOT Query1.Seq;
    Last edited by June7; 12-24-2014 at 08:40 PM.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Query1
    SELECT Table1.ID, Table1.Item, Table1.Finish, DCount("*","Table1","Item=" & [item] & " AND ID<" & [ID])+1 AS Seq FROM Table1;
    Thanks very much for the reply June! I actually managed to find a set of steps to add an ID column to this table, but now I'm struggling with the DCount function.

My "Item" field actually winds up being a Text field, which throws a "Data type mismatch in criteria expression." error message =( Is there a way to modify the DCount to allow text--and still have it count properly?

June7 is online now VIP
    Text type fields require apostrophe delimiters for the parameter. Date/time type uses # character.

"Item='" & [Item] & "' AND

What do the values in the field look like?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Text type fields require apostrophe delimiters for the parameter. Date/time type uses # character.

"Item='" & [Item] & "' AND

What do the values in the field look like?
    Ah June! You are the best! I was putting the single quotes in the wrong place the whole time, and getting wildly random results, haha. I even tried using CStr at one point to no good result.

Just for anyone who might stumble upon this, my original data had no ID column. I managed to tackle that by creating a table with an autonumber field--but no data. Do a Make Table query joining this autonumber table with your original table (no joins, this will result in no records), then Append your original data back into this new table. Voila, sequential ID field.

June7 is online now VIP
    Why did you not simply add autonumber field to the table?

In this case, the data I'm using is being imported via an ODBC connection to a ProvideX database--which I can't add an auto-numbering field to =/

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.