TedT is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Reading field from Access to labels problem (missing returns in field)

I have an Access database of contacts. There is a field for "Name" and a field for "Address". The address field has the street, city, zip, country etc, all in one field, and each line has a return so it looks correct in Access. It was an imported database so I could not change the format,

When I create a report to print address labels, the name lines up correctly but the address is printed as one long line. The returns in the address are removed. Is there anyway to get Access to recognize the returns and put the address lines where they should be so the label will print correctly? The database is over 3000 names, I do not want to create separate address/city/state fields as it would take forever to hand move the address info to the new fields.

So in Access:

Name field: John Doe
    Address field:
    123 street
    Anycity, ST, ZIP

In label
    John Doe
    123 Street Anycity, ST, ZIP

Thanks
    TedT

June7 is online now VIP
    I cannot replicate the issue. Text saved with a Ctrl + Enter between lines displays properly as multiple lines in table, form, and report.

If you want to copy some records to another table/database and change the personal info to something meaningless and post as attachment, I will look at. Include the report object in the db.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

TedT is offline Novice
    Hi,
    I stripped the database down to the "Person" Table and a label report. This si the same table form my app with all but 4 records deleted.

Even though the table seems to have the crtl+enter, the report does not split the line.

I tried creating a table, entered a few records with crtl+enter in the field and the labels worked fine, so no idea what is going on with this origional database.

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks
    TedT
    Attached Files Attached Files

June7 is online now VIP
    I tested your report with your data as well as with a record I created. My record displays with same issue as your data.

I presume you built report with the label report wizard. This is why I don't use the wizards, they do stuff I don't like.

I built label report from scratch, just like any report, and set it for multi-column output with Page Setup. The data displays properly.

I did suggest you change personal info (address, phone, email) to something meaningless. Is this real data in the db? You might want to delete the attachment now.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

TedT is offline Novice
    Hi,

The data was modified.

I used the "Label" command under reports - a wizard I guess.

Can you sen the file back so I can see your report?

Thanks
    TedT

June7 is online now VIP
    All you have to do is select the table and click the Create Report (or Report Design) button on the ribbon. Then modify as needed - resize the Detail section and set up page layout: change margins and set for multiple columns. Really quite simple. That's as far as I went.

I always set db for Overlapping Windows, I don't like Tabbed Documents.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.