Spur52 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Black, White or White, Black

I have a database of birds. One of the fields is a text field called "Colors". I have a query for that field asking for the colors of the bird I am trying to identify. For example the colors in that field might be "black, white". If, in the query I ask for colors "white, black" it returns with no finds because the entered colors were "black, white". I am trying to do 2 things - fix the field so it doesn't matter if I enter "white, black" or "black, white" and returns forms that ONLY contain "black, white". Is this possible??

Spur52

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I have to say No, at least not without using VBA. You must standardize the data.

Multiple data in one field is poor design.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

tanyalee123 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2007
    If I were you, I would do a search and replace in order to make the data consistent. This will only save you trouble in the future. Then I would create a dropdown of color choices and thus avoiding users entering the data inconsistently in the future. You have to remember that this inconsistent data could haunt you every time you try to create a query, report, search, etc.

Spur52 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Through the years I have tried a few databases. But none did everything I wanted done. Handling pictures was a problem but with Access I thought I finally had my dream come true and I was up and running until I tried doing an easy query. Oh well, my search continues.

Thanks for the input

Spur52

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.