Dick_in_Dallas is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

How do I open Access 2007 from a Visual Basic program?

I have a fully operational Visual Basic program that uses MS Office XP and it's related MS Access. Because of security concerns, I recently upgraded to MS Office 2007 and MS Access 2007. I can open MS Access 2007 using the shortcut on the desktop and run any of the database queries. When I try to run the Visual Basic program (called prjPathfinder) and open Access 2007, it says "Error 5: The type initializer for prjPathfinder.Upgrade Support threw an exception". It then shows the first form in prjPathfinder but does not open Access 2007. What am I missing?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Perhaps you should post question in a Visual Basic forum?

Why use VB for frontend?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Dick_in_Dallas is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    I may very well post a related question in a Visual Basic forum. I have a fully operational Visual Basic program, and the only thing that was changed was replacing MS Office XP Professional with MS Office 2007 Professional; hence, there seems to be something different in the requirements to open MS Office 2007 from a program. I would like to know what it is or what they are.

Why not use VB for frontend? It does what I want it to do, once I get past this problem. This is actually a pretty slick program. The database reflects the amateur packet radio node network of North America. The VB program takes the GPS coordinates of the specified starting node and the GPS coordinates of the specified destination node, and recursively finds it's way through the network to find a viable path between the two nodes, if a viable path exists. It uses an Excel object model to display the path in real time as it is finding it.
    Last edited by Dick_in_Dallas; 11-23-2014 at 06:44 AM.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    We could certainly help with Access/VBA issues but I haven't looked at VB project in a long time and never used it to connect to data.

So you have 3 applications working collaboratively - VB, Access, Excel? Could probably all be done in one app - Access. VB and VBA code are quite similar.

I once found a VB project for calculating matrices and adapted it for use in Access VBA. Very little code was modified.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.