dougdrex is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Getting error "...cannot find a record in the table..."

I'm using Access 2010, and created a form with a subform. However, I'm getting an error message that indicates Access is unable to find a record in the table. However, when I checked the source table, it appears to have the necessary data.

The form I'm having problems with in the attached database is Enter_Clients that contains the subform Enter_Sales_Subform.

The issue is probably something minor, but I'm having a hard time detecting what it is.

If someone more advanced than myself would have the chance to look at this, I would be super appreciative!

Thanks!
    Doug
    Attached Files Attached Files

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    It seems to work find for me.

In ENTER_CLIENTS form...
    Are you sure you didnt add a new client, and then try to enter in the sub form?
    because you cannot add things to the sub form until the master form record is saved.

works fine on my end.

When entering an ID into the Company/Product field, there are some values that produce the error. Access enters the values, but when I try to exit from the form, it gives the error message. I've looked and can't figure out why.

Missinglinq is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    Quote Originally Posted by ranman256 View Post

...Are you sure you didnt add a new client, and then try to enter in the sub form?
    because you cannot add things to the sub form until the master form record is saved
    If you add a new client to the master Form and then move to the Subform, to add a Record, the Record in the master Form has been saved!

The problem is that your Subform is based on a multi-table Query which is Read-Only. Allen Browne has an excellent article that explains why Multi-Table Queries are frequently Read-Only:

Why is my query read-only?

And to be honest, I see no reason for using the Query. The Sales table is all you should need.

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Access_Blaster is offline User
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I could not replicate your issue. Try including the PK / FK in the record source but not make them visible on the frm / subfrm.

An example of one of the values in the Company/Product field that is producing the error is ID 62 (Company = AGLA, Product = GUL). When that value is entered and you try to close the form, Access produces the error message.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.