Ruegen is offline VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2010 64bit

Unhappy imported old database - new one has similar issues

Hi everybody,

Our current database was imported from an old access 2000 database - one of the issues in the old one was that the memo field in a particular table would get corrupt. So users would use the front end and from time to time a record would get a corrupt error on that memo field. Compact and repair - the issue is resolved. Not practical but still resolved.

Then we brought in the data to access 2010. Occasionally at least once a week we get a more than one user accessing record error, the memo field gets a corrupt error and we have to compact and repair in order to repair that record - we also lose any data in that field of that record.

I'd love this to stop. Any solution around this would help a great deal. I can't make search forms (to search this memo fields) because of these errors - they bug out the search forms.

Help!

Ruegen is offline VIP
    Everything I am reading on the web is: don't use memo fields.

Either link to another table with 1 to 1 relationship or use external text file.....

Not really practical for our uses.... any advice?

burrina is offline VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    Have you tried deleting that field and re creating it? Is there some code being run on it? Sometimes the actual field in the table gets corrupt. You may have to copy that table to a new db, delete that field and then run a query to append the data. Perhaps even the form may be corrupt itself. Have you tried re creating it?

HTH

Ruegen is offline VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by burrina View Post
    Have you tried deleting that field and re creating it? Is there some code being run on it? Sometimes the actual field in the table gets corrupt. You may have to copy that table to a new db, delete that field and then run a query to append the data. Perhaps even the form may be corrupt itself. Have you tried re creating it?

HTH
    No I haven't tried that yet. I was more concerned about the limitations of access-since reading on the net people are saying access uses pointers for memo fields which get corrupted easily...

AnandKhinvasara is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Sometimes machine-specific OS based factors cause this - Is the data app behaving the same on other machines as well ?

Ruegen is offline VIP
    I moved to 255 character fields, every entry made makes an entry into a table and each table record in that keeps the ID of the original record. The original record then loads the new table records into an unbound text box as a string.

Basically - since not using memo fields, I get no more database errors.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.