How can i make a search box for all fields in a table?

This is my first project in Access, so this might be a really easy fix, and this might not be the right forum, but any help would be appreciated. I have a database of our inventory and wanted to add a search feature to it. I managed to create a split form with a search box at the top using Apply Filter with the command [Item#] Like "*" & Forms!inventtab!text20 & "*". It would work exactly like I need it to if it could be applied to ALL fields of the table. I only have nine fields that need searched, but it surpasses the character limit of the where condition line when I enter them all like the example. Any way to shorten the SQL so that it fits, or maybe there is something that replaces the first bracket so that it applies to all fields of the table? Thanks in advance!

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    You could make a union query.
    in it has 9 querys (you only have 9 fields)

select * from tbl where [fld1] =txtbox
    union
    select * from tbl where [fld2] =txtbox
    union
    select * from tbl where [fld3] =txtbox

etc..

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    It would work exactly like I need it to if it could be applied to ALL fields of the table. I only have nine fields that need searched,
    Why nine fields? This sounds like a non- normalized structure. What are the filed names?

See http://www.allenbrowne.com/ser-62code.html

Normally you should have different field names and search text boxes, but you should be able to use the one search text box and create the filter using the link above.

Be aware of when to use "AND" and "OR"...........

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    I agree with Steve; if you want to enter one search term and have nine fields searched using it, your database is almost assuredly non-normalized, and you first order of business, here, has to be addressing this issue first! Failure to do this will make most anything you need to do take ten times longer than it should, and may make some tasks impossible.

How about giving us some specific details on your data, especially the nine fields to be searched.

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    see this example in the code repository -not exactly what you're asking, but may have some ideas you can use.
    https://www.accessforums.net/code-re...rch-43055.html

So here is the reason for the odd set-up;
    I work for a maintenance company and am trying to simplify the process of locating the correct replacement part. Each item has up to nine fields, our part number, vendor number, model, serial, etc. When an asset is determined to need replaced, the tech may bring any one of these numbers to us depending on what they were able to find on the part. For instance, if they have a manual, they may bring us a catalog number, or if they only have the item itself, they will come to us with maybe a model, serial or some other marking directly on the part. So I was hoping to have one search box that would check all of the possible fields. Also, this specific table is going to be used exclusively for archival purposes and not integrated with any other features. Hope this clarifies a bit. Thanks.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    OK, Now I understand. You should be able to create the code to search the fields. Just watch the delimiters....good luck.

Thompyt is offline Expert
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    Why don't you use the record search button function using the button macro wizzard? When you select search it will searc in whatever filed your cursor is in. Select the field with cursor, then click the search button.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    A dynamic parameterized query is one way to handle this type of search. The same criteria parameter must be under each of the 9 fields - each on a different Criteria row to invoke the OR operator - looks like stair steps.

LIKE "*" & [input value here] & "*"

The [input value here] will trigger a parameter input popup. Problem with popup is can't validate user input.

Better would be to reference a combobox on form.

LIKE "*" & [Forms!formname!controlname] & "*"

Combobox RowSource could be the UNION query described by ranman (only without the filter criteria) so users can only type in or select valid data.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Access_noob_ View Post

...Each item has...our part number, vendor number, model, serial, catalog number, etc

...the tech may bring any one of these numbers to us depending on what they were able to find on the part...

...they may bring us a catalog number, or...a model, serial or some other marking...
    Even with this business need, unless this is a very, very small database, you'd be better off having a separate Control for each type of search term; otherwise, searching nine different Fields, with the Like operator (which you have to do, for this kind of thing) is very likely to retrieve many, many non-appropriate results.

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.