DBDave is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

How to construct a BuildFilter

I'm trying to create a search form. The backend SQL table I need to search is partly denormalized. It contains 2 person name fields, something like [SalesmanName] and [ManagerName]. I have a union query which generates a list of all names (without dupes) including Salesmen and Managers because I don't care which of the two fileds contains the name being searched for. The user selects a name from a unbound combobox which has the union query as it's row source.

The code for my search form sets a RecordSource as in the following common example:

Me.RecordSource = "SELECT * FROM qrySearch " & BuildFilter

If I want to construct BuildFilter as a "Like" clause, that's a piece of cake. There are a number of examples that show how to do that. However, I want to construct a BuildFilter with an equality ("="), and also using "or" operator? In pseudo-code, that looks like the following:

"If the comboxbox value is not blank find rows where [SalesmanName] equals the combox value OR [ManagerName] equals the comboxbox value"

I'm stuck on constructing that statement. All my attempts at that syntax are blowing up with compile errors or syntax errors. Can you help me out? I would greatly appreciate it!

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    This example should help you. If not, post back and ask more questions.

http://www.allenbrowne.com/ser-62code.html

DBDave is offline Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by ssanfu View Post

Great examples in that article. Thanks!

DBDave is offline Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by ssanfu View Post

Can I follow up with a related question? I set up the filtering on a search form and now it's working with help of that Allan Browne article. I want the user to click a button and open a report based on the same filter. What's the best approach to that? Do I have to recreate the same filter function in an event on the report? Can the report refer to the BuildFilter in the form? Thanks.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Instead of (or in addition to) setting the form filter property, pass the filter criteria to report when it opens:

DoCmd.OpenReport "report name", , , strWhere

If you want separate button for opening report, then put Allen Browne's code into a Sub behind the form that can be called by both buttons.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

DBDave is offline Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Instead of (or in addition to) setting the form filter property, pass the filter criteria to report when it opens:

DoCmd.OpenReport "report name", , , strWhere

If you want separate button for opening report, then put Allen Browne's code into a Sub behind the form that can be called by both buttons.
    Great. I'll try it tonight.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.