david@joltinteractive.com is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Mail Merge Field List

I have a very large AccessDB application that I did not create, but am tasked with maintaining/updating. It has a letter Mail Merge with a field list that is in a .txt file on the server. I have new fields that I need to add to the list to be included in the letter. i cannot figure out how to add them? Not very familiar with Mail Merge.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    A mail merge requires two documents. The main document is the 'master' letter narrative. The data document has the variable info that will feed into the master to generate multiple individualized letters.

So what is in the .txt file? What do you mean by 'field list'? If the .txt file has data, I guess it is created by exporting a query from Access. Modify the query to include the new fields.

Modifying the 'master' Word document for the new fields is another matter. Suggest you do some research.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

david@joltinteractive.com is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Thanks for the reply. Yes the .txt file has delimited data that has the variable info (name, address, etc.) that feeds the letter.

So, I need to find a query in my DB that has this data and export it as the .txt file? This DB is huge with hundreds of Queries. Hopefully I can find it.

Thanks for your help!

June7 is offline VIP
    How do you initiate the mail merge? Is there a button on a form in Access? Start the search there.

I've never done Word merge but as I understand it, should be able to somehow transfer data directly from Access to the Word master document without the text file middle man.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

NTC is offline VIP
    to add to a field list that is in a .txt file on the server requires opening it and adding on the server itself - and not via Access - - at least that's my initial off the cuff thought....one can't edit that type of linked file via the Access app I don't think..... not 100% ...but try editing it directly on the server, not via Access, and then see if that new info is there via the Access Word Merge.....

June7 is offline VIP
    NTC, I think just have to do a new export of the modified query to .txt file with same file name. This is the data so of course the text file will be different for each merge event.

NTC is offline VIP
    if the txt info originates inside the Access data that definitely is correct in exporting out....my interpretation of the post was that the data was coming into the db for the Word merge originating outside of the DB in that txt file.....so just not sure of the situation..... one or the other.....

June7 is offline VIP
    Post 3: " has delimited data that has the variable info "

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.