khughes46 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit

DB opens as READ ONLY

I have a FE DB that I have been opening and closing at various times without incident. Now all of a sudden it only opens as READ ONLY. I can't find anyone with a BE open that might be causing this. What will cause this? If I save a copy and then replace the original will I lose my data? Help please.

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    If your database is really split (in the traditional manner), then all data is stored on the back-end, so deleting the front-end should not delete any data.
    The back-end contains all the data tables.
    The front-end contains all the queries, forms, reports, and code.

Even if the front-end is read only, I am guessing you may still be able to update data (you can try and see if that is the case). What it probably won't let you do is save design changes to the front-end, but typically, users should not be doing that anyway.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Is each user running their own copy of the frontend? If not, this could be cause of issue. Make sure no one has db open then see if there is still a locking file (.laccdb). Delete it.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

I am the only one that has access to the folder where the DB resides, and there is no indication that anyone else has it open.

My bad, I crossed my terms, it is the BE that is opening as read only. I did not use the wizard to create this DB since I have several different FE DB's using the data stored in the BE. I tried to update data in the BE but all I get is the all too familiar DING.

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    So, if you are out of the database and browse to the folder where the back-end exists in Windows Explorer, do you see any files out there with an extension of "laccdb", "ldb", "laccde", or "lde"?

It just opened fine and I can see that it is being used. The only file in the folder is the DB, and there were no other files present when I tried to open it earlier. But it's a moot point now.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.