DLee-AB is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Working with relationships

I'm a relatively new user of Access, and I can't seem to wrap my head around relationships. I have 4 tables, Employees, Classification, Emergency Contacts, and Courses. I want to add sub-forms of 3 of the tables to an Employee form which I've created. This is where I'm confused... Do I create fields for the primary keys for Classification, Emergency Contacts and Courses tables in the Employee table? If so then once I have these fields do I then copy the Primary Key numbers into the blank fields on the Employee Table? I've checked out different sites and even tutorials on YouTube, but nowhere have I found clearly explains this.

Thanks so much.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Employee can have multiple Classifications, multiple Contacts, multiple Courses? If Yes, these tables should have a field for the EmpID as FK.

Use form/subform arrangement with main form bound to Employees and subforms bound to other 3 tables.

Set the Master/Child links properties of the subform container control and the EmpID PK will automatically save as FK in the subform records.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Before deciding on forms and subforms, I recommend you get your tables and relationships set up. Do you have a clear statement of what you are trying to do in business terms? Do you have a set of Business Rules --Does every Employee have to have an EmergencyContact?-- Can an Employee have only One Classification at one time? Take some sample data and "work it" against your data model. Reconcile every anomaly/issue.

For Relationships -- see and work through this tutorial.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.