ayupchap is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 8 Access 2013

Creating a file upload function where selections save the document(s0 into different areas?

Hi all,

I have no idea if this is even possible or possible for someone with my skill set but if anyone can help with the following I'd be very happy:

I work in a school where teachers have to archive their assessments and other documents monthly. Currently they email them to a set email address but I was wondering if it would be possible for me to make something with access whereby they can do this. I'd like to make a form where they selected their name and then attached a file, this file would then be saved in an area I would have assigned that persons name to, does this make sense? I want it to be simple as possible, very simple so just a name section from a dropdown then a file upload section and done.

Any help MUCH appreciated

Regards

Scott

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Yes, that can be done.

How would they 'select' the file to copy - Windows file picker dialog? http://blogannath.blogspot.com/2010/...cks-using.html
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    Hi there,

Yes a file picker would be fine! This is very exciting if this is possible and not too difficult for me to actually do

Windows 8 Access 2013
    Is it possible to use the attachment file type at all?

June7 is offline VIP
    Files can be embedded into attachment field. Lots of large files will quickly use up Access 2GB size limit.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    Oh of course that makes sense. So is there a way to get it to change where it is saved (so in a particular folder on the server) that would be good but doing so without the user knowing. Thanks for your help.

June7 is offline VIP
    What do you mean by 'without the user knowing' - user is picking the file, they know something is happening.

User picks file and code can save it wherever. Use FileCopy() intrinsic function.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    Oh when I say without the user knowing I mean they don't know where its being saved to on the server

Windows 8 Access 2013
    I have never heard of the filecopy() function but will investigate it.

Am I right in thinking that I create a table with the fields, Teacher Name (creating a dropdown list) and Upload file, then create a form with this and then somehow code the upload file field to make use of the filecopy() function?

June7 is offline VIP
    What do you mean by 'upload'? The file is already on your system somewhere? Don't you want user to just select the current file path and your code copies from that path to another?

Windows 8 Access 2013
    Oh yes this is true, sorry I'm terrible with using the correct terminology it seems. Yes the user will have a file on their machine somewhere and I want it copied to a specific location on our server, hope that makes sense. most people use laptops and I commonly create a split database front end for them to use whilst linked to the schools wifi so networked that way. Hope this makes more sense.

June7 is offline VIP
    Okay FileCopy() might be able to do that. Could depend on user permissions for the destination folder.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.