Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    gykiang is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 8 Access 2013

display one of the the multiple fields in query

Hi

I need help to write the expression of a conditional field ([InsCL]) in my query table to display either one of the six following fields in the same query table:

[INVHI]
    [INVCL]
    [INVCL1]
    [INVCL2]
    [INVCL3]
    [INVCL4]

The criteria as follows :

Condition 1: If all fields of [INVCL],[INVCL1], [INVCL2], [INVCL3], [INVCL4] contain null value, then the field InsCL should equal [INVHI]
    Condition 2: If fields of [INVCL1], [INVCL2], [INVCL3], [INVCL4] contain null value, then the field InsCL should equal [INVCL]
    Condition 3: If fields of [INVCL2], [INVCL3], [INVCL4] contain null value, then the field InsCL should equal [INVCL1]
    Condition 4: If fields of [INVCL3], [INVCL4] contains null value, the field InsCL should equal [INVCL2]
    Condition 5: If only field of [INVCL4] contains a null value, the field InsCL should equal [INVCL3], else InsCL should equal [INVCL4]
    I tried with below expression but the control doesn't work as the value of InsCL get stuck with [INVHI].
    InsCL: IIf(IsNull([INVCL1]+[INVCL2]+[INVCL3]+[INVCL4]),[INVHI] IIf(IsNull([INVCL1]+[INVCL2]+[INVCL3]+[INVCL4]),[INVCL], IIf(IsNull([INVCL2]+[INVCL3]+[INVCL4]),[INVCL1], IIf(IsNull([INVCL3]+[INVCL4]),[INVCL2],IIf(IsNull(INVCL4]),[INVCL3],[INVCL4])))))

+ was then replaced with "And", but still failed to get what I want.

Any clue to the above problem ?

Regards
    Kiang

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    Build this function in a module, then In your query, make a virutal field: GetInsCLValue([INVCL],[INVCL1], [INVCL2], [INVCL3], [INVCL4], [INVHI]) as InsCL

Code:
    public function GetInsCLValue(pvINVCL,pvINVCL1, pvINVCL2, pvINVCL3, pvINVCL4,pvINVHI)
    dim vRet
    select case true
       case isnull( pvINVCL) and isnull( pvINVCL1) and isnull( pvINVCL2) and isnull( pvINVCL3) and isnull( pvINVCL4)
          vRet = pvINVHI

case  isnull( pvINVCL1) and isnull( pvINVCL2) and isnull( pvINVCL3) and isnull( pvINVCL4)
          vRet = pvINVCL
       case isnull( pvINVCL2) and isnull( pvINVCL3) and isnull( pvINVCL4)
          vRet = pvINVHI1
       case  isnull( pvINVCL3) and isnull( pvINVCL4)
          vRet = pvINVHI2
       case   isnull( pvINVCL4)
          vRet = pvINVHI3
    end select
    GetInsCLValue= vRet
    end function

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Looks like non-normalized data structure is at root of this issue. Multiple similar name fields indicates non-normalized structure.

The nested IIf is missing a comma after [INVHI]. This expression should error and not return anything. The first 2 conditions are identical, I think the first one is missing INVCL in the sum.

Be aware that arithmetic with Null returns Null. If any one term in the sum is Null the answer will be Null, therefore the expression will always return [INVHI], unless every term is not Null.

Maybe you want:

Nz(INVCL, Nz(INVCL1, Nz(INVCL2, Nz(INVCL3, Nz(INVCL4, INVHI)))))
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    [QUOTE=ranman256;243257]Build this function in a module, then In your query, make a virutal field: GetInsCLValue([INVCL],[INVCL1], [INVCL2], [INVCL3], [INVCL4], [INVHI]) as InsCL

Hi ranman256,

I have established the function as module 2, copy and paste below code in a new field of the query table in design view :

GetInsCLValue([INVCL],[INVCL1], [INVCL2], [INVCL3], [INVCL4], [INVHI]) as InsCL

I got error message of "The expression you entered contains invalid syntax".

How do I get around this ?

Thanks & regards
    Kiang

Windows 8 Access 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Looks like non-normalized data structure is at root of this issue. Multiple similar name fields indicates non-normalized structure.

The nested IIf is missing a comma after [INVHI]. This expression should error and not return anything. The first 2 conditions are identical, I think the first one is missing INVCL in the sum.

Be aware that arithmetic with Null returns Null. If any one term in the sum is Null the answer will be Null, therefore the expression will always return [INVHI], unless every term is not Null.

Maybe you want:

Nz(INVCL, Nz(INVCL1, Nz(INVCL2, Nz(INVCL3, Nz(INVCL4, INVHI)))))

Thanks June7. The fields contain of text only.

June7 is online now VIP
    Then the + character will concatenate. The & is preferred operator for concatenation.

If any term of concatenation expression is not null then the result will be the text value.

Does the nested Nz solve this issue?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Then the + character will concatenate. The & is preferred operator for concatenation.

If any term of concatenation expression is not null then the result will be the text value.

Does the nested Nz solve this issue?
    I have fixed some careless error of comma etc and nested the field with Nz:

InsCL: IIf(IsNull(Nz([INVCL])& Nz([INVCL1]) & Nz([INVCL2]) & Nz([INVCL3]) & Nz([INVCL4])),Nz([INVHI]),IIf(IsNull(Nz([INVCL1])& Nz([INVCL2]) & Nz([INVCL3]) & Nz([INVCL4])),Nz([INVCL]),IIf(IsNull(Nz([INVCL2])& Nz([INVCL3]) & Nz([INVCL4])),Nz([INVCL1]),IIf(IsNull(Nz([INVCL3])& Nz([INVCL4])),Nz([INVCL2]),IIf(IsNull(Nz([INVCL4])),Nz([INVCL3]),Nz([INVCL4])))))

Still [InsCL] returns to empty field, even though all the fields are not null.

I wonder how Nz(INVCL, Nz(INVCL1, Nz(INVCL2, Nz(INVCL3, Nz(INVCL4, INVHI))))) can be fitted into the above expression ?

June7 is online now VIP
    That expression won't give you what you want. The concatenated value will never be Null because Nz converts Null to empty string. Test for empty string.

IIf(Nz([INVCL]) & Nz([INVCL1]) & Nz([INVCL2]) & Nz([INVCL3]) & Nz([INVCL4])="", [INVHI] ...

Just replace the entire nested IIf() expression with the nested Nz() and see what happens. No VBA is needed with this approach.

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    in the query field its just: GetInsCLValue([INVCL],[INVCL1], [INVCL2], [INVCL3], [INVCL4], [INVHI])

Windows 8 Access 2013
    I copied & pasted GetInsCLValue([INVCL],[INVCL1], [INVCL2], [INVCL3], [INVCL4], [INVHI]) as it is in design view of query table and Access auto changed it to :

Expr1: GetInsCLValue([INVCL],[INVCL1],[INVCL2],[INVCL3],[INVCL4],[INVHI])

when I clicked datasheet view, error message of undefined function of 'GetInsCLValue' in expression appeared.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    I have done this :

InsCL: Nz(IIf(IsNull([INVCL] & [INVCL1] & [INVCL2] & [INVCL3] & [INVCL4]),[INVHI],IIf(IsNull([INVCL1] & [INVCL2] & [INVCL3] & [INVCL4]),[INVCL],IIf(IsNull([INVCL2] & [INVCL3] & [INVCL4]),[INVCL1],IIf(IsNull([INVCL3] & [INVCL4]),[INVCL2],IIf(IsNull([INVCL4]),[INVCL3],[INVCL4]))))))

Only Condition 5 of below works.

Condition 1: If all fields of [INVCL],[INVCL1], [INVCL2], [INVCL3], [INVCL4] contain null value, then the field InsCL should equal [INVHI]
    Condition 2: If fields of [INVCL1], [INVCL2], [INVCL3], [INVCL4] contain null value, then the field InsCL should equal [INVCL]
    Condition 3: If fields of [INVCL2], [INVCL3], [INVCL4] contain null value, then the field InsCL should equal [INVCL1]
    Condition 4: If fields of [INVCL3], [INVCL4] contains null value, the field InsCL should equal [INVCL2]
    Condition 5: If only field of [INVCL4] contains a null value, the field InsCL should equal [INVCL3], else InsCL should equal [INVCL4]

June7 is online now VIP
    Have you tried the nested Nz()?

InsCL: Nz(INVCL, Nz(INVCL1, Nz(INVCL2, Nz(INVCL3, Nz(INVCL4, INVHI)))))

Or if I have the order of priority backwards try:

InsCL: Nz(INVCL4, Nz(INVCL3, Nz(INVCL2, Nz(INVCL1, Nz(INVCL, INVHI)))))

Windows 8 Access 2013
    I pasted InsCL: Nz(INVCL, Nz(INVCL1, Nz(INVCL2, Nz(INVCL3, Nz(INVCL4, INVHI))))) in Design view of query table, only Condition 2 worked with [INVCL] was displayed. When [INVCL] is null, [INVHI] will not appeared etc.

June7 is online now VIP
    Read post 12 again.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    Tried backward : InsCL: Nz(INVCL4, Nz(INVCL3, Nz(INVCL2, Nz(INVCL1, Nz(INVCL, INVHI)))))

Only Condition 5 worked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.