mcernik is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Cool Managing record edits by multiple users on a split Access 2013 db

I have 2013 access db split with shared BackEnd on server, and FrontEnds for multiple users local PC. The endusers are not "database" savy and need several split forms to help work with the data we have (where the forms show a single record and the complete table of records in the same form). All the frontends have direct links to the tables in the BE (there are no local tables used in the FE) What I've been concerned about is how to manage a user editing the a record in a table at the same time that table is being used by others. I need that specific record "locked" down from others until the edits are done. I dont know what kind of options I can use for Access 2013 to lock a record or table when a record is being updated. The edits work directly on the form or table so I'm not using recordsets to manage lockouts that way. Most of the controls listed online deals with old MDB versions. Can anyone help on this with Access 2013??? Thanks

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    I found it better NOT to use split form. Mine use a list shown (read only). They choose edit on a record.
    It opens a local table with a copy of the record.
    The change, they SAVE
    an update query runs.

This is minimal time on a record to cause confict.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Simultaneous edit of record not really a concern in my db. The chance of multiple users editing same record is highly unlikely with our business process. Multiple users accessing the same table is not an issue.

Does this help http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ac...001232785.aspx
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

mcernik is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Simultaneous edit of record not really a concern in my db. The chance of multiple users editing same record is highly unlikely with our business process. Multiple users accessing the same table is not an issue.

Does this help http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ac...001232785.aspx
    ah yes that what I was looking for. dont know how i missed that. So busy looking for controls on the split DB end that I missed the simple solutions. Thanks for the reminder June7 - thats what worked for me.

BTW - I understand that Split forms are usually not the best choice to use. however i have over 2 dozen fields in a record - a split form allows me to see all the fields for a single record, as well as a small section of a few other records - kinda helpful for manually keeping consistant data syntax in various fields without having to program something for each of them (like think of how many different ways can you enter Win 2008 R2 server in an OS field? if you see it done one way in a record, you keep it the same in the record you're editing) In my case, i needed a solution to work with what I already have.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Nothing really wrong with using split form. I didn't really like it when first introduced but am taking another look at it

You could standardize the choices with a lookup table as combobox RowSource.
    Last edited by June7; 08-22-2014 at 02:27 PM.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.