Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ray67 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2003

Designing A/R aging Form

Hello –

Looking to build a database that would help me manage accounts receivable for doctors office. I know how I want it to look like but not sure how to go about or if it can be done. Any help or suggestions are welcome.

For now i think one form should do it(but that can change).
    I will be pulling the raw data from another system and importing it to access every month. On the form I would like to display any patient that have a balance base on the
    following criteria
    A: Patient has a balance more than 30 days (show patient on the form)
    B: If patient account hasn’t been worked with in the last 30 days. If Last status is blank than this is how we would know if the account has been worked on. (show patient on the form)
    C: if patient has received a payment within the last 30 days and there’s still a balance (Do not show on the form).

Here is an example of the form

Patient name Chart # Date of service Charges Payments Adjustments Balance CurrentInsPlanName Comments User Last Status Last Status Date New Status Status Date User
    Doe,Jonh 123 5/1/2014 200 100 50 50 Private pay 07/1/2014:Called Pt,Left Pt Message Ray Called Pt 7/1/2014 Recently Paid 8/1/2014 Betty
    Smith 456 4/4/2014 150 150 Insurance 07/01/2014: Called ins company,Spoke with Jen. Payment was mailed out 6/28/2014 Ray Awaiting Payment Cycle 7/1/2014
    Doe,Mike 7879 6/30/2014 125 125 Insurance Ray

Every time a user works on an account, they will fill in a NEW STATUS and STATUS DATE . I would like to show on the same form what was the LAST STATUS AND LAST STATUS DATE . Under the comments column they would always be able to add comments.

Thank you

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    The form shown is not the best way to design a db. It makes a good final report. But you dont want tables built this way.
    Unless this is how you get it from the 'import', then it could be managed.
    But I think you need various tables:
    tPatients
    tPayments
    tComments
    etc..
    Once filled and joined then the queries can build this example. But all of that is do-able.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    What field has STATUS DATE - Date of Service? You want LAST for each patient? I don't see a STATUS field.

Accounting db is complicated and would take a lot of time and effort to build from scratch. Why reinvent the wheel? Many OTS programs available that would be far cheaper - QuickBooks is a generic option. Specialized db could cost more. Bing: physician office database, explore http://www.biosoftworld.com/Features...ase-Seven.html

Or maybe the 'other system' is an accounting program?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Right now i have two tables TchargesPayemntsAdjustments TPtDemo
    All of the data from those two tables would be imported. So the only fields that the user would input data in Access would be any status fields and comments field.
    Since you are saying it's do-able than i will start to build the queries. Just need some type of direction joining the queries. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by ranman256 View Post
    The form shown is not the best way to design a db. It makes a good final report. But you dont want tables built this way.
    Unless this is how you get it from the 'import', then it could be managed.
    But I think you need various tables:
    tPatients
    tPayments
    tComments
    etc..
    Once filled and joined then the queries can build this example. But all of that is do-able.

Windows XP Access 2003
    June7
    Not really looking for accounting db but more of a workflow for outstanding claims. Right now our staff follows up on outstanding claims and they work off an excel spreadsheet. It's very hard for me to get reports or update since there's about 15 doctors that we work with.

Scroll to the right and you will see the status fields
    Last status, Last Status Date, New status, Status Date,User These fields i would add in access for the user to fill in as they work on each patient.

Other system
    Has accounting already but just can't use it to work on each outstanding claim.

Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    What field has STATUS DATE - Date of Service? You want LAST for each patient? I don't see a STATUS field.

Accounting db is complicated and would take a lot of time and effort to build from scratch. Why reinvent the wheel? Many OTS programs available that would be far cheaper - QuickBooks is a generic option. Specialized db could cost more. Bing: physician office database, explore http://www.biosoftworld.com/Features...ase-Seven.html

Or maybe the 'other system' is an accounting program?

June7 is online now VIP
    Ooops, didn't realize the data posted was a table and not just an image.

Retrieving the 'LAST DATE' for each patient is easy in an aggregate query or DMax expression in a textbox. Retrieving other fields of record that has the LAST date is more complicated.

A query could be filtered for only those patients where LAST STATUS Is Null.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Ok i will start to building the queries and form. From there i would need some help with the aggregate query if you don't mine.

Thank you

Ooops, didn't even notice the scroll bar was not just part of the image.

Retrieving the 'LAST DATE' for each patient is easy in an aggregate query or DMax expression in a textbox. Retrieving other fields of record that has the LAST date is more complicated.

June7 is online now VIP
    Query in design view, click Totals from the ribbon Design tab. Access Help has more guidance on using the query builder.

Windows XP Access 2003
    June7

Hello

Thank you for that last reply.
    I started to build the form and i'm running into a little issues.
    I'm getting the following error (you had helped me on this query setup https://www.accessforums.net/queries...71/index2.html)
    "Record set is not updateable"
    I think i know why, I'm using a Group queries as my form
    The queries that i'm using for the form is grouped. What's another why i can go about this?

Thank you

June7 is online now VIP
    I don't understand what you want. Why would you base a data entry form on an aggregate query?

Windows XP Access 2003
    Didn't know i couldn't use aggregate query for data entry form.
    Is there another why i can go about grouping the data?
    Right now this query is showing the data i want to work on.

I don't understand what you want. Why would you base a data entry form on an aggregate query?

June7 is online now VIP
    Think about the nature of an aggregate query. It a summation of many records. That is a calculation. Calculated data cannot be edited.

I still don't know what you are trying to do. What data do you need to enter?

Windows XP Access 2003
    I'm looking to build a db that would help manage outstanding A/R.
    I would like to add the following columns Comments, User, last status, Last status date, New status, status date, user. These column would help me manage all outstanding balance.

The query gives me any patient that has a balance. Every month i will be importing new data. These data will have any new charges, payments and adjustments. Is there another way i can go about the same query but that it will allow me to update it.

June7 is online now VIP
    My initial reaction is no. But I just don't know enough about your data and business practices.

Personally, I would not try to build an accounting system from scratch. Very complicated. And there are so many OTS packages available.

Windows XP Access 2003
    I'm not really looking to build an accounting system. i know it sound like it but i'm not. We do billing for about 15 doctors. I'm looking to improve our collection.
    Right now we use excel to work our outstanding balance. Every month we get new payments. So every time we get a payment on a balance we have worked on we would have to find the patient on the spreadsheet and update it. I would like to use access to automate this.

Example:
    Once a month i would import all new charges, payments and adjustments. Access would give me a list of all patient that still have a balance. Within access i would like to use it to follow up on outstanding claim. Once the claim has been paid, access would remove it from the list.

Here is an example of the report i would like to import into access

This would be February Report
    BillingProviderLastName PtAcct PtLastName PtFirstName SvcDateStamp FinTransDateStamp Charges Payments Adjustments PtProcCodeCPT TransType
    Ray 11111111 Doe Ray 1/28/2013 2/7/2013 150 0 0 99213 Charges
    This would be March Report
    BillingProviderLastName PtAcct PtLastName PtFirstName SvcDateStamp FinTransDateStamp Charges Payments Adjustments PtProcCodeCPT TransType
    Ray 11111111 Doe Ray 1/28/2013 3/15/2013 0 100 0 99213 Payments
    Ray 11111111 Doe Ray 1/28/2013 3/15/2013 0 0 50 99213 Adjustments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.